Erdogan: Turkey resumes energy exploration in east Mediterranean

Above, Turkey’s drilling ship Fatih is escorted by a Turkish Navy warship on July 9,2019 while on its way to the eastern Mediterranean near Cyprus. (Turkish Defense Ministry/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 07 August 2020

Erdogan: Turkey resumes energy exploration in east Mediterranean

  • Turkey and Greece have long been at loggerheads over overlapping claims for hydrocarbon resources

ISTANBUL: President Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that Turkey had resumed energy exploration work in the eastern Mediterranean as Greece had not kept its promises regarding such activities in the region.
NATO members Turkey and Greece have long been at loggerheads over overlapping claims for hydrocarbon resources and tensions flared up last month, prompting German Chancellor Angela Merkel to hold talks with the country’s leaders to ease tensions.
“We have started drilling work again,” Erdogan told reporters after participating in Friday prayers at the Hagia Sophia mosque. “We don’t feel obliged to talk with those who do not have rights in maritime jurisdiction zones.”
He said Turkey’s Barbaros Hayreddin Pasa, a seismic survey vessel, had been sent to the region to carry out its duties. The ship moved into waters off Cyprus in late July and remains in that region.
Erdogan made the comments when asked about an accord signed by Egypt and Greece on Thursday designating an exclusive economic zone between the two nations in the east Mediterranean.
Diplomats in Greece said their agreement nullified an accord reached last year between Turkey and the internationally recognized government of Libya.
However, Erdogan said the Egypt-Greece accord was of no value and that Turkey would sustain its agreement with Libya “decisively.” The Turkish Foreign Ministry has said the Egypt-Greece zone falls in the area of Turkey’s continental shelf.
Turkey and Greece are also at odds over a range of issues from flights over each other’s territory in the Aegean Sea to ethnically divided Cyprus.


UAE reports new record high of 1,538 coronavirus infections

Updated 21 October 2020

UAE reports new record high of 1,538 coronavirus infections

  • The total number of cases in the UAE since the pandemic began has reached 119,132
  • The country has also confirmed two deaths, raising the number of COVID-19-linked deaths to 472

DUBAI: The UAE has recorded 1,538 coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours after conducting 105,740 tests, state news agency WAM reported.
The Ministry of Health and Prevention said the total number of cases since the pandemic began has reached 119,132. The country has also confirmed two deaths, raising the number of COVID-19-linked deaths to 472.
The ministry also said 1,501 people had recovered from COVID-19 overnight, bringing the total to 111,814.
The UAE, with a population of around 9.9 million people, has seen the number of daily new cases surge over the past two months from 164 on Aug. 3 to a new high of 1,538.