Saudi foreign minister calls for ‘transparent and independent’ Beirut explosion investigation

Prince Faisal bin Farhan tells an emergency donors conference that Saudi Arabia stands with Lebanon. (Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Short Url
Updated 09 August 2020

Saudi foreign minister calls for ‘transparent and independent’ Beirut explosion investigation

  • Prince Faisal bin Farhan told an emergency donors conference that Saudi Arabia stands with Lebanon
  • Minister condemns 'destructive hegemony' of Hezbollah, which has history of storing explosives among civilians

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia called for a transparent and independent investigation into the Beirut explosion, the Kingdom’s foreign minister said on Sunday.
Prince Faisal bin Farhan told an emergency donors conference that Saudi Arabia stands with Lebanon. He described the explosion that killed more than 150 people as “horrific.”

Prince Faisal said strong state institutions that work for the interests of the Lebanese people are vital to the reform required to guarantee Lebanon's political and economic future.
“The continued destructive hegemony of the terrorist organization Hezbollah worries us all, and we all know this organization’s history of using explosive materials and storing them among civilians in several Arab and European countries and in north and south America.”
“Lebanon is in dire need of comprehensive and urgent political and economic reform to ensure that this terrible disaster will not occur again,” he said.

He added that four planes carrying Saudi aid have arrived in Beirut.
The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief) has provided 290 tons of medical equipment, food supplies and housing materials.

The conference was hosted by French President Emmanuel Macron.


Saudi Arabia announces 26 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 01 October 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 26 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 319,746
  • A total of 4,794 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 26 more deaths from the coronavirus and 492 new cases of the disease on Thursday.
Of the new cases, 55 were recorded in Madinah, 39 in Jeddah, 39 in Makkah, 27 in Dhahran, 26 in Riyadh and 26 in Hufof.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 319,746 after 592 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 4,794 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.