Former Hezbollah chief holds current leadership responsible for destruction of Lebanon

Subhi Al-Tufayli said Hezbollah was responsible for the problems across the Middle East. (FILE/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 11 August 2020

Former Hezbollah chief holds current leadership responsible for destruction of Lebanon

  • Tufayli says Hezbollah leader should be tried
  • Blames Hezbollah for troubles across the region

DUBAI: Former Hezbollah chief, Subhi Al-Tufayli, held the current leadership of the militia organization responsible for the destruction of Lebanon.

Tufayli said Hassan Nasrallah – who heads the Iranian-backed Lebanese group – must be tried, along with his supporter, the Supreme Leader of Iran Ali Khamenei.

Tufayli, the first Secretary-General of Hezbollah from 1983 until 1984, said that above the Lebanese government, Prime Minister Hassan Diab, was the leadership of Hezbollah and therefore the group’s leadership is the root of the problem. Tufayli said it was the leadership that must be held responsible.

The Lebanese group Hezbollah - listed as a terrorist group by the US, UK, EU and Gulf states, including Saudi Arabia - is an Iranian proxy Shia militia. It was established by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in Lebanon in 1982 and remains dependent on Iranian finance and support.

The former Hezbollah leader said it was Hezbollah’s Iranian-supplied weapons that destroyed Lebanon and other countries in the region.

 

 

“These weapons destroyed Syria. These weapons destroyed Iraq. These weapons destroyed Yemen. These weapons destroyed Lebanon. These weapons exploded Beirut,” he said.

Tufayli comments came as Lebanon’s government resigned on Monday less than a week after a massive blast ripped through Beirut.

The explosion, thought to have been caused by more than 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate held in a warehouse in the Port of Beirut, killed at least 160, injured thousands and displaced hundreds of thousands of people in the capital.

Diab, who took office last December, was already under pressure for the lack of progress in resolving the country’s dire financial and economic situation.


Turkey’s daily COVID-19 patients top 2,000, at early-May levels

Updated 28 min ago

Turkey’s daily COVID-19 patients top 2,000, at early-May levels

  • Turkey imposed weekend lockdowns, restricted intercity travel and closed restaurants and cafes earlier this year

ISTANBUL: Turkey’s daily number of new coronavirus cases surpassed 2,000 on Monday, reaching levels last seen in early May when restrictions on businesses and households were in place.
Data from the Health Ministry showed another 2,026 people with COVID-19 symptoms had been diagnosed, as Ankara continues to report only symptomatic cases.
The ministry changed the wording on its daily reports from “cases” to “patients” on July 29. Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said the daily number includes only those who show symptoms.
The ministry had said earlier that 1,958 patients were diagnosed on Monday but later updated the data.
There were 2,253 cases on May 6.
The total number of patients stood at 349,519 as of Monday, the data showed.
Data also showed 75 people had died in the last 24 hours, also the highest daily level since early May, raising the total death toll to 9,371.
Turkey imposed weekend lockdowns, restricted intercity travel and closed restaurants and cafes earlier this year to slow the spread of the virus.
Almost all restrictions were lifted in June. The government has since enforced measures such as social distancing and wearing masks, and has imposed fines on those who break rules.
Turkey’s top medical association and the main opposition party have criticized the government’s decision to only disclose the number of symptomatic patients.