24,243 injured Yemenis treated under Saudi-run health program

KSRelief provides diagnostic services, surgical facilities, rehabilitation and provision of necessary medications. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 24 August 2020

24,243 injured Yemenis treated under Saudi-run health program

  • Housing, food, and other humanitarian projects are being carried out throughout the war-torn country too

RIYADH: A total of 24,243 Yemenis had so far received treatment for their injuries as part of a Saudi health program launched in May 2015, figures have revealed.

The project, run through the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief), aims to ensure patients get necessary treatment within Yemen while critical cases are transferred to health facilities in Saudi Arabia and other neighboring countries.

The center has provided treatment for 9,729 Yemenis in government and private hospitals in the south of the Kingdom, referred several critical cases for advanced medical care at facilities in the Riyadh and Makkah regions, and transported 815 people for treatment in Jordan, Sudan, and India.

KSRelief offers diagnostic services, surgical facilities, and rehabilitation while providing necessary medication.

It has also launched artificial limb centers in Aden, Marib, and Taiz for the victims of land mines planted by the Iranian-backed Houthis. Work on another center is underway in the Seiyun governorate.

In addition, the aid organization has provided training for 5,138 Yemeni cadres at the centers.

Housing, food, and other humanitarian projects are being carried out throughout the war-torn country too.

KSRelief has also signed 10 contracts with private hospitals in the Yemeni governorates of Aden, Taiz, Seiyun, and Mukalla to provide treatment, diagnosis, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, and follow-up services for 9,014 injured Yemenis.

And Saudi Arabia has launched several programs to combat dengue, cholera, and the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Yemen.

KSRelief has implemented 344 health projects in Yemen carried out in coordination with the high relief committee of the Yemeni Health Ministry and local and international partners.


Saudi health minister promises to procure tested COVID-19 vaccine

Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah. (AP)
Updated 20 October 2020

Saudi health minister promises to procure tested COVID-19 vaccine

JEDDAH: Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah on Monday said the Kingdom will procure vaccine for the novel coronavirus once it is confirmed to be safe and effective.

He said research on the vaccine is underway in a number of countries and the Saudi health authorities are following the developments.
The number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continues to decline in the Kingdom with the recovery rate from the illness rising to 96 percent. The minister attributed the decline on the “commitment to health precautions.”
“I also thank my fellow health practitioners for their wonderful efforts,” Al-Rabiah said.
Commenting on the second and stronger wave of COVID-19 in some countries, he said it was due to a lack of “commitment to social distancing” and failure to wear masks and taking other precautions.
He ruled out any leniency on part of the government in its fight against the virus. The minister said it is necessary to abide by precautionary measures to keep the virus at bay.

FASTFACTS

• Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday.

• With 16 new fatalities, the virus-related death toll has risen to 5,201.

“We (all) are in one boat, and the failure of some affects everyone, so we must work together” to check the spread of the virus.
He also advised people who show COVID-19 symptoms to visit Tetamman (rest assured) clinics.
“Appointments can be made through the ministry’s Sehaty app, and anyone who has any questions or wants to consult a doctor can call 937,” the minister said.
Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday. The total number of COVID-19 cases has reached 348,583 since the beginning of the outbreak in the Kingdom.
The Health Ministry said 16 more people died due to complications caused by the virus raising the death toll to 5,201. The ministry also reported 357 new recoveries. The total number of recovered cases has now increased to 328,895.