Trump son Barron contracted Covid-19, now negative: first lady Melania

Trump son Barron contracted Covid-19, now negative: first lady Melania
In this file photo taken on August 18, 2019, US President Donald Trump (C) First Lady Melania Trump (R) and their son Barron Trump (L) return to the White House in Washington, DC. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 14 October 2020

Trump son Barron contracted Covid-19, now negative: first lady Melania

Trump son Barron contracted Covid-19, now negative: first lady Melania
  • Melania said that after she and the president tested positive two weeks ago

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump’s teenage son Barron contracted Covid-19 after both his parents tested positive, but is now negative, First Lady Melania said Wednesday.
She said that after she and the president tested positive two weeks ago, “Naturally my mind went immediately to our son.”
Barron Trump, 14, first tested negative, she said.
“But again, as so many parents have thought over the past several months, I couldn’t help but think ‘what about tomorrow or the next day?’ My fear came true when he was tested again and it came up positive,” the first lady said.
“He has since tested negative,” she wrote in an essay entitled “My Personal Experience with Covid-19.”
“In one way I was glad the three of us went through this at the same time so we could take care of one another and spend time together,” the first lady wrote.


Kremlin says would welcome Biden’s efforts to extend New START arms control treaty

Kremlin says would welcome Biden’s efforts to extend New START arms control treaty
Updated 20 January 2021

Kremlin says would welcome Biden’s efforts to extend New START arms control treaty

Kremlin says would welcome Biden’s efforts to extend New START arms control treaty
  • The New START (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty) accord limits the numbers of strategic nuclear warheads
  • A failure to extend New START could fuel a potential arms race and tensions between Moscow and Washington

MOSCOW: The Kremlin said on Wednesday it remained committed to extending the New START nuclear arms control treaty with the United States and would welcome efforts promised by the administration of US President-elect Joe Biden to reach agreement.
The New START (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty) accord, which was signed in 2010 and expires in February, limits the numbers of strategic nuclear warheads, missiles and bombers that Russia and the United States can deploy.
“Russia and its president are in favor of preserving this agreement,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters on a conference call. “If our American colleagues will in fact demonstrate a political will to preserve this pact by extending it, this can only be welcomed.”
Biden’s choice for secretary of state, Antony Blinken, said on Tuesday that the incoming US administration would seek to extend the pact and decide how long an extension to pursue.
Russian President Vladimir Putin last year called on Washington to extend the last major nuclear arms pact between the two countries for a year without any conditions.
A failure to extend New START could fuel a potential arms race and tensions between Moscow and Washington.