Saudi Arabia announces 11 more COVID-19 deaths

Saudi Arabia announces 11 more COVID-19 deaths
Saudi Arabia announced 11 deaths from COVID-19 and 609 new infections on Saturday. (File/SPA)
Short Url
Updated 14 August 2021

Saudi Arabia announces 11 more COVID-19 deaths

Saudi Arabia announces 11 more COVID-19 deaths
  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 522,009
  • A total of 8,399 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia announced 11 deaths from COVID-19 and 609 new infections on Saturday.
Of the new cases, 161 were recorded in Riyadh, 106 in Makkah, 74 in the Eastern Province, 55 in Jazan, 48 in Asir, 30 in Madinah, 28 in Najran, 15 in Al-Baha, 14 in Hail, 14 in the Northern Borders region, 12 in Tabuk, and 10 in Al-Jouf.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 522,009 after 1,651 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 8,399 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.
Over 31.4 million doses of a coronavirus vaccine have been administered in the Kingdom to date.


Saudi environmental security officers protect sea and land ecosystems

Saudi Arabia is committed to protecting the environment and its natural resources. (Twitter: @SFES_KSA)
Saudi Arabia is committed to protecting the environment and its natural resources. (Twitter: @SFES_KSA)
Updated 06 December 2021

Saudi environmental security officers protect sea and land ecosystems

Saudi Arabia is committed to protecting the environment and its natural resources. (Twitter: @SFES_KSA)
  • Forces under interior ministry command detain poachers, illegal firewood traders in crackdown

RIYADH: The Saudi Special Forces for Environmental Security have apprehended dozens of offenders for environmental violations as part of a recent crackdown.

The forces, under the command of the Ministry of Interior, arrested individuals who illegally moved sand and soil in Jeddah and Tabuk. People who illegally entered the Imam Turki bin Abdullah Royal Reserve in northeast Riyadh and hunted wildlife in restricted areas were also detained.

Others were arrested while transporting local firewood and trafficking endangered fungi in Al-Muzahmiyya Governorate. Several other citizens were also caught selling local firewood in other regions of the Kingdom.

Saudi Arabia is committed to protecting the environment and its natural resources across its vast territory. The Saudi environment law focuses on conservation, protection, development, pollution prevention, public health protection and the rational use of natural resources.

It also aims to make environmental planning an integral part of comprehensive development in industrial, agricultural and urban areas.

One practice that harms the Saudi environment is illegal dredging. Talal S. Al-Rasheed, a consultant at Gulf Energy for Environmental Consultations, warned that dredging and similar practices can negatively impact the environment and economy if studies are not conducted beforehand. Reduced fish stocks and damage to coral reefs are major consequences of poorly planned and illegal dredging.

Al-Rasheed added that taking sand and soil without a license is a “major disaster” because it changes the nature of the land by creating deep pits that cause accidents and endanger the lives of road users.

“Because the marine environment is sensitive to its habitat, when anything changes in nature, creatures begin to shift to other locations. Some of these habitats might not suitable for living. Because of the availability of suitable places for marine organisms, every species in the marine environment has a designated place to adapt to,” Al-Rasheed said.

Nasser M. Al-Hamidi, an environmental activist, said that burning or cutting trees in natural forests for wood is harmful to the environment and local communities due to smoke pollution.

He added that any attack on the environment, including dredging and stealing natural materials such as mountain rock deposits, poses a severe threat to the Kingdom’s natural beauty, which should be preserved for future generations.


Saudi Arabia records 1 COVID-19 death, 43 new cases

Saudi Arabia records 1 COVID-19 death, 43 new cases
Updated 06 December 2021

Saudi Arabia records 1 COVID-19 death, 43 new cases

Saudi Arabia records 1 COVID-19 death, 43 new cases
  • The health ministry says 26 patients have recovered from the virus in the last 24 hours
  • More than 22.6 million people have been fully vaccinated throughout the Kingdom so far

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia confirmed one new COVID-19 related deaths on Monday, raising the total number of fatalities to 8,845.
The Ministry of Health confirmed 43 new cases reported in the Kingdom in the previous 24 hours, meaning 549,955 people have now contracted the disease. Of the total number of cases, 37 remain in critical condition.
According to the ministry, the highest number of cases were recorded in the capital Riyadh and Jeddah with 14 cases each, while Makkah confirmed three and Dhahran recorded two cases.


The health ministry also announced that 26 patients had recovered from COVID-19, bringing the total number of recoveries in the Kingdom to 539,082.
Over 47.7 million COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered since the Kingdom’s immunization campaign started. More than 22.6 million people have been fully vaccinated.
The coronavirus pandemic has affected over 266 million people globally and the death toll has reached around 5.27 million.


Saudi defenses intercept ballistic missiles launched toward Riyadh, Khamis Mushayt

Saudi defenses intercept ballistic missiles launched toward Riyadh, Khamis Mushayt
Updated 8 min 18 sec ago

Saudi defenses intercept ballistic missiles launched toward Riyadh, Khamis Mushayt

Saudi defenses intercept ballistic missiles launched toward Riyadh, Khamis Mushayt
  • Shrapnel from one of the intercepted missiles landed in some residential neighborhoods, without causing any damage
  • Coalition vows to ‘strike with an iron fist,’ and launches large-scale operation against Houthi militia

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s air defenses intercepted three ballistic missiles launched toward the Kingdom, state TV reported on Monday, citing the Arab coalition.
The coalition said the missiles was targeting the capital, Riyadh, in an attempt to attack civilians and civilian objects.
Saudi Ministry of Defense spokesman Brig. Gen. Turki Al-Maliki said that shrapnel and fragments from one of the missiles that was intercepted landed in some residential neighborhoods, without causing any damage.
Al-Maliki said that “this barbaric and irresponsible behavior by the Houthi militia to attempt to target civilians and civilian objects in a systematic and deliberate manner contradicts humanitarian principles and violates international humanitarian law and its customary rules.”
He added that the defense ministry will take necessary and deterrent measures, in accordance with international humanitarian law, to protect its territory, national capabilities, civilians and infrastructure, and stop such hostile and cross-border attacks.
On Monday evening, the coalition said air defenses intercepted and destroy another ballistic missile targeting the southern city of Khamis Mushayt, as well as a drone that was destroyed in Yemeni airspace.
“In response to the threat, we will start implementing a large-scale operation against the Houthi militia, and to protect civilians, we will strike with an iron fist, within the framework of international humanitarian law,” the coalition said in a separate statement.
The Iran-backed militia has launched several drones toward the Kingdom’s southern region since Sunday, sparking condemnation from regional counties and organizations.
The US State Department condemned the attacks and said it supports the Kingdom in defending its security, adding the Houthis are the obstacle to any diplomatic solution to the Yemeni crisis.
Nayef Al-Hajraf, secretary-general of the Gulf Cooperation Council, denounced the continuation of these terrorist attacks by the Houthi militia targeting innocent civilians, saying they were a flagrant violation of international laws.
Bahrain, Kuwait, Jordan and Djibouti also issued statements condemning the attempted atacks on the Saudi capital, and also said they supported the Kingdom in all measures it takes to preserve its security, stability and sovereignty.
They called on the international community to take quick and decisive measures to deter these threats and hold the perpetrators accountable.
The Houthis launch frequent cross-border attacks targeting populated areas, airports and oil installations, threatening global energy supplies and endangering lives.


Saudi Arabia’s King Salman sends letter to UAE president

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman sends letter to UAE president
Updated 06 December 2021

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman sends letter to UAE president

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman sends letter to UAE president
  • The message dealt with ways to develop bilateral relations
  • It was delivered by Saudi foreign minister during a meeting with Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s King Salman sent a written message to UAE President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed, regarding their strong bilateral relations and ways to support and enhance them, Saudi Press Agency reported on Monday.
The message was delivered by Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan during a meeting with Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, UAE vice president and prime minister and ruler of Dubai.
During the reception, Prince Faisal conveyed greetings from King Salman to Sheikh Khalifa, wishing him and the Emirati people continued progress and prosperity.
Sheikh Mohammed said the UAE president expressed appreciation for the Saudi monarch, wishing him good health and wellness and the Saudi people further development and growth. 


Bahraini leaders congratulate King Salman on successful Saudi Arabian Grand Prix

Bahraini leaders congratulate King Salman on successful Saudi Arabian Grand Prix
Updated 30 min 24 sec ago

Bahraini leaders congratulate King Salman on successful Saudi Arabian Grand Prix

Bahraini leaders congratulate King Salman on successful Saudi Arabian Grand Prix
  • King Hamad praised the distinguished organization of the international sporting event

RIYADH: Bahrain’s King Hamad on Monday congratulated Saudi Arabia’s King Salman over the great success of the inaugural Formula 1 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit.
King Hamad praised the “distinguished organization of this international sporting event” that showed that the Kingdom benefits from huge capabilities and potentials, which will boost it’s status on the global sports map and help it host major international events and tournaments.
The Bahraini monarch wished the Kingdom and the Saudi people more success, progress and prosperity in all fields and sectors.
King Hamad also congratulated Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and praised the support and attention he gives to the sports sector and efforts in hosting international races to enhance the Kingdom’s status as a preferred destination for various international events.
Meanwhile Bahraini Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad, who attended the race on Sunday, hailed the Jeddah circuit and the creativity of Saudis, and said the world was looking with admiration to the Kingdom’s increasing development and achievements.