RIYADH: Talks to extend the two-month truce in Yemen with the parties concerned are ongoing, the UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said on Tuesday.
“I continue to engage the parties to overcome outstanding challenges and to ensure the extension of the truce which is set to expire in two weeks,” Grundberg said.
Speaking to the press from Amman, the UN envoy said he was “grateful for the consistent and robust support of the international community in advocating for the implementation and the extension of the truce.
“I would like to note in particular the support provided by Saudi Arabia.”
He said there has been a “considerable positive impact on the daily lives of many Yemenis” as a result of the truce which came into effect on April 2.
He applauded the parties to the truce for taking the “courageous” steps of agreeing to it and “prioritising alleviating the suffering of the Yemeni people.”
“The truce is holding in military terms. For the past six weeks civilian casualties have dropped considerably, fighting has sharply reduced,” Grundberg added.
“There are reports of increasing humanitarian access including in some front line locations that had previously been extremely difficult to access,” he said.