Iran delegation refuses to sign Haj agreement: Haj Ministry

Updated 27 May 2016

Iran delegation refuses to sign Haj agreement: Haj Ministry

JEDDAH: Talks to ensure a smooth participation of Iranian pilgrims in the forthcoming Haj collapsed after the delegation sent by Tehran refused to sign an agreement laying out arrangements for the pilgrimage, the Saudi Press Agency said, quoting a statement of the Ministry of Haj and Umrah.
The statement said the Iranian delegation has subsequently returned to Tehran on Friday.
The delegation arrived in the kingdom on Wednesday upon the invitation by the new Saudi Minister of Haj Mohammed Salih Bentin.


Number of coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia could hit 200,000, says health minister

Updated 07 April 2020

Number of coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia could hit 200,000, says health minister

  • Minister added it was vital the public cooperated with the government’s instructions and precautionary measures

RIYADH: The number of COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia could reach up to 200,000 within a few weeks, according to the Kingdom’s health minister.

Citing four Saudi and international studies on Tuesday, Dr. Tawfiq Al-Rabiah said the case figure is likely to see a constant increase rather than a decrease, Saudi Press Agency reported.

"Within the next few weeks, studies predict the number of infections will range from a minimum of 10,000 to a maximum of 200,000," Al-Rabiah said.

The minister added it was vital the public cooperated with the government’s instructions and precautionary measures to limit the number of infections.

“There is no doubt that our commitment to the instructions and procedures, in its entirety reduces the number of cases to the minimum, while non-compliance will lead to a huge increase in the number of cases,” he said.

“We stand today at a decisive moment as a society in raising our sense of responsibility and contributing together with determination to stop the spread of this pandemic,”

Many people were not taking the dangers of the pandemic seriously enough, according to the health minister, adding that the Kingdom had death with the crisis with full “transparency and clarity.”

The Saudi health ministry also announced on Tuesday that there were a total of 2,795 confirmed cases and the death toll from the virus in the Kingdom had reached 41.

A 24-hour curfew and lockdown has been imposed in the cities of Riyadh, Tabuk, Dammam, Dhahran and Al-Hofuf and in the governorates of Jeddah, Taif, Qatif and Khobar in a bid to prevent the spread of COVID-19

Last week, King Salman issued a decree which ordered treatment to be available for anyone in need of medical care, including people who have overstayed their visa in the Kingdom.