KSA reject rights groups' ‘accusations’ over Yemen policy

1 / 4
Food aid is distributed by the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Action to Yemenis displaced by fighting in Hadramawt province. (SPA)
2 / 4
Food aid is distributed by the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Action to Yemenis displaced by fighting in Hadramawt province. (SPA)
3 / 4
Food aid is distributed by the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Action to Yemenis displaced by fighting in Hadramawt province. (SPA)
4 / 4
Food aid is distributed by the King Salman Center for Relief and Humanitarian Action to Yemenis displaced by fighting in Hadramawt province. (SPA)
Updated 30 June 2016

KSA reject rights groups' ‘accusations’ over Yemen policy

GENEVA: Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the UN Human Rights Council rejected “accusations” from two human rights groups that the Saudi-led Arab coalition helping restore legitimacy in Yemen conducted indiscriminate airstrikes that have killed civilians.
Ambassador Faisal Trad said Thursday that Saudi Arabia was “keen” to abide by international law, review allegations about its military operations and assist aid workers in Yemen, where the US-backed coalition has been fighting Shiite and other rebels.
The coalition, which includes other Gulf Cooperation Council members, Egypt, Jordan and other allies, intervened in March 2015 after Iran-backed Houthi rebels joined forces with loyalists of former president Ali Abdullah Saleh in trying to overthrow the UN-recognized government of President Abed Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have called for Saudi Arabia’s suspension from the Geneva-based body until Saudi forces halt indiscriminate airstrikes in Yemen that have killed over 900 civilians.
In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Trad countered that the rights groups were “rejecting the facts” and cited “violations” by Yemeni rebels.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, after initially criticizing Saudi Arabia, has also acknowledged kingdom's peacekeeping efforts and continuing aid to developing countries in the region and worldwide.

(Additional report from The Associated Press)


Saudi military opens first women’s section

Updated 30 min 33 sec ago

Saudi military opens first women’s section

  • The initiative is the first to allow women to climb the ladder towards senior ranks

JEDDAH: Saudi military chief of staff, Gen. Fayyad Al-Ruwaili, launched the first military section for women in the Saudi Arabian Armed Forces on Sunday.

The director general of admission and enlistment, Maj. Gen. Imad Al-Aidan, explained the regulations of acceptance, and allocated locations where the female staff will be stationed.

Under the initiative to incorporate more women into the field, previously announced in October 2019, women can now join the military as lance corporals, corporals, sergeants, and staff sergeants in the Royal Saudi Land Forces, Air Force, Saudi Arabian Navy, Air Defense Forces, Strategic Missile Forces and Armed Forces Medical Services.

The initiative is the first to allow women to climb the ladder towards senior ranks.

Former Shoura Council member Haya Al-Muni’I previously told Asharq Al-Awsat that these new laws support women’s rights and capabilities in the Kingdom’s military.

“Naturally, they will enter a new sphere of work. It’s a reflection of a national belief in the equality between women and men,” she said.

The initiative is part of Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030 Program, pushing for the empowerment of women and giving them more leadership positions, and highlighting the significance of their involvement across different fields.