United Nations’ bias on Yemen questioned

Updated 03 August 2016

United Nations’ bias on Yemen questioned

JEDDAH: Yemen’s former media official has questioned the neutrality of the United Nations on the issue of his country and said that the world body’s reputation is at stake.
Mokhtar Al-Rahbi, former press secretary to Yemen’s president, said the “report of the United Nations in which it cited violations of children’s rights in Yemen by the Saudi-led Arab coalition is unfair and incorrect.”
“It contains falsification of facts in terms of Saudi advocacy for the legitimacy in Yemen and its stand beside the president legitimately recognized by the international community,” he said.
Speaking to a local newspaper, Al-Rahbi stressed the fact that the coalition forces had not targeted civilians or children, unlike the Houthi militias who have so far killed 60,000 Yemeni troops, and 10,000, children according to their own statements, as well as their admission that they are using children in their war, as the age group of their fighters ranges from 13 to 21 years.
“Saudi Arabia is one of the world’s greatest supporters of Yemen. Between 2011 and 2015, Saudi Arabia paid more than SR8 billion in cash and in the form of oil products and relief materials. Saudi Arabia has no personal enmity with Yemen to target children and women; on the contrary, the Kingdom came to their support and help,” said Al-Rahbi.
The former press secretary said that the people of Yemen will never forget this favor.
He cited the events in Taiz on Monday, asserting that there was clear evidence of who kills children and dozens of civilians, especially the massacre against children, regarded as one of the dozens of massacres committed in all regions in Yemen.
“The Yemeni government and the coalition forces are negotiating in Kuwait on a peaceful settlement while the massacres and violations are committed in the country,” he added.
He wondered why the UN up till now has not classified the Houthis as terrorists like Al-Qaeda, who kill and destroy people according to their doctrines and sects.


Saudi anti-graft agency probes 105 corruption cases in different sectors

Updated 08 July 2020

Saudi anti-graft agency probes 105 corruption cases in different sectors

  • A Nazaha official said the Kingdom will continue to pursue cases of misappropriation of public money
  • The cases involved fraud, bribery, and financial and professional corruption

RIYADH: The Saudi Control and Anti-Corruption Authority (Nazaha) has initiated 105 corruption cases in the health, interior, power, and education sectors.
The cases involved fraud, bribery, and financial and professional corruption.
A Nazaha official said the Kingdom will continue to pursue cases of misappropriation of public money and harming state interests.
One of the cases involves the arrest of three employees working at the Saudi Electricity Co. for receiving a bribe amounting to €535,000 ($604,570) from a French company and opening bank accounts in another country (at the request of the company) for money laundering. Another case is the arrest of a university faculty member for asking for a bribe amounting to SR80,000 ($21,328) from a number of companies working on different projects at the university.
The authority also arrested a doctor at the Ministry of Health for violating the regulations at a quarantine facility.
A brigadier general was arrested for using his official vehicle to facilitate the passage of another private vehicle through security points during the curfew period.