US university loses $5m as Saudi students stay away

(Courtesy of Wikipedia)
Updated 04 August 2016

US university loses $5m as Saudi students stay away

JEDDAH: The revenues of Idaho University are expected to decline by more than $5 million in the new academic year due to a drop in the number of Saudi scholarship students.
This decrease has been attributed to racist attacks suffered by some Saudi students at the university recently.
According to the Associated Press, the level of registration at the university is expected to decline by as much as seven percent next semester, in comparison to last semester.
The annual report of the university which was sent to all employees and the faculty members said that the number of registered students in the upcoming academic year will be less than 9,500 students.
Laura Woodworth-Ney, Idaho State University’s provost and vice president for academic affairs, explained that while the figures reflect the current period alone, the university is getting ready for a further drop in the number of students in the future.
She added that the reason for the declining revenues of the university was the declining number of the Saudi students in addition to Kuwaiti students.
This decreased enrollment at the institution comes after Idaho University witnessed a range of racist attacks on Saudi and Kuwaiti students, which prompted the Saudi Embassy in Washington to reconsider the scholarship program with the university.
The situation stabilized after the intervention of the mayor of the city and the rector of the university, enabling the parties to reach a suitable solution to the issue, with the university pledging to provide security for Gulf students by providing more police patrols around their lodgings.
In an email to Idaho State faculty and students in mid-April, the university’s president, Arthur C. Vailas, said the homes of about 50 Middle Eastern students had been burglarized over several weeks.
“As a result of these crimes, some of our students are seriously considering leaving I.S.U. and Pocatello,” the email said.
The burglaries followed reports that 17 vehicles, many belonging to Middle Eastern students, were vandalized last year, Vailas’s email said. Also, DVDs containing hate messages were left on a number of car windshields on campus.
Saudi and Kuwaiti students make up one-tenth of the population at Idaho State.


Saudi health minister promises to procure tested COVID-19 vaccine

Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah. (AP)
Updated 20 October 2020

Saudi health minister promises to procure tested COVID-19 vaccine

JEDDAH: Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah on Monday said the Kingdom will procure vaccine for the novel coronavirus once it is confirmed to be safe and effective.

He said research on the vaccine is underway in a number of countries and the Saudi health authorities are following the developments.
The number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continues to decline in the Kingdom with the recovery rate from the illness rising to 96 percent. The minister attributed the decline on the “commitment to health precautions.”
“I also thank my fellow health practitioners for their wonderful efforts,” Al-Rabiah said.
Commenting on the second and stronger wave of COVID-19 in some countries, he said it was due to a lack of “commitment to social distancing” and failure to wear masks and taking other precautions.
He ruled out any leniency on part of the government in its fight against the virus. The minister said it is necessary to abide by precautionary measures to keep the virus at bay.

FASTFACTS

• Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday.

• With 16 new fatalities, the virus-related death toll has risen to 5,201.

“We (all) are in one boat, and the failure of some affects everyone, so we must work together” to check the spread of the virus.
He also advised people who show COVID-19 symptoms to visit Tetamman (rest assured) clinics.
“Appointments can be made through the ministry’s Sehaty app, and anyone who has any questions or wants to consult a doctor can call 937,” the minister said.
Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday. The total number of COVID-19 cases has reached 348,583 since the beginning of the outbreak in the Kingdom.
The Health Ministry said 16 more people died due to complications caused by the virus raising the death toll to 5,201. The ministry also reported 357 new recoveries. The total number of recovered cases has now increased to 328,895.