Penalties for stunt driving toughened

Saudi youths exhibit their "drifting" skills along a busy road in Tabuk region in this file photo. (Reuters)
Updated 09 August 2016

Penalties for stunt driving toughened

JEDDAH: More stringent penalties now await recalcitrant citizens who engage in “car drifting,” a popular pastime of Saudi youth which is now considered a major health hazard.
In a session on Monday at the Al Salam Palace in Jeddah, the Council of Ministers, chaired by Vice Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Mohammed bin Naif, approved modifications giving more teeth to traffic rules against the practice.
For the first offense, the car would be impounded for 15 days, the driver would be fined SR20,000 and would be referred to court to determine the jail sentence.
Second time offenders would be fined SR40,000, their cars would be impounded for a month and the driver is referred to court
Third time violators would be fined SR60,000, the car would be impounded, and the court would look into confiscating the vehicle permanently.
Penalties against “drifting” had been raised in the past to SR1,000 for first offense, SR1,500 for second offense, and SR2,000 for third offense, plus other penalties, depending on the circumstances.
However, authorities have deemed that the fine was really too low to discourage “drifting,” blamed for many of the accidents happening accross the Kingdom.
In one such accident documented on video in Riyadh, a Saudi youth was shown drifting recklessly, causing his vehicle to overturn as he lost control over it, damaging two cars parked along the road.
A number of deaths caused by “drifters” have also been reported in the past years.
Authorities have called on parents to monitor their sons, but the practice is still reported to be rampant.


Saudi Arabia condemns Nice church attack

Updated 29 October 2020

Saudi Arabia condemns Nice church attack

  • The foreign ministry stressed the importance of rejecting practices that breed hatred, violence and extremism
  • The Muslim World League (MWL) also condemned the attack and described it as a “terrorist crime”

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia condemned an attack at a church in the southern French city of Nice that killed three people on Thursday.
The Kingdom’s foreign ministry expressed its categorical rejection of the extremist attack in Notre Dame Basilica and others like it, and said that they are inconsistent with all religions, human beliefs and instincts. 
The ministry stressed the importance of rejecting practices that breed hatred, violence and extremism.
The ministry also expressed its condolences to the families of victims and the French government and public, wishing those injured a speedy recovery. 
The Muslim World League (MWL) also condemned the attack and described it as a “terrorist crime.”
The MWL added that Islam is innocent of such attacks and considers them “ugly crimes” that are a product of terrorist ideologies.

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) also condemned the attack and said it rejects extremism and terrorism in all shapes and forms regardless of motives.

The Council of Senior Scholars condemned the Nice Attack and said it is the duty of people to practice tolerance and constructive cooperation in the world. 

It added that Islam places utmost importance on protecting civilians.

The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), Kuwait, Bahrain and Egypt also condemned the attack.