Houthi rocket attack kills Saudi, wounds 6 expats in Najran

1 / 4
Civil Defense firefighters battle a blaze on a building caused by a rocket strike in Najran on Saturday. (SPA)
2 / 4
Firefighters of the Directorate for Civil Defense are seen outside a building set ablaze by a rocket strike in Najran on Saturday. (SPA)
3 / 4
The remains of a truck demolished by a rocket strike is shown outside a building in Najran on Saturday. (SPA)
4 / 4
Bystanders watch as Civil Defense firefighters extinguish a blaze that hit a building in Najran after a rocket attack on Saturday. (SPA)
Updated 20 August 2016

Houthi rocket attack kills Saudi, wounds 6 expats in Najran

JEDDAH: A Saudi citizen was killed and six others were wounded when a rocket fired from Yemen hit a building in the southern border region of Najran on Saturday, the Directorate of Civil Defense said.
A Civil Defense spokesman in Najran said five of the wounded were Yemenis and one was a Pakistani expat.
A barrage of rockets, believed to have been fired by Shiite Houthi militants, hit the western part of Najran city at about 12:30 p.m., setting at least two buildings on fire, Al Ekhbariya online news said.
Cross-border attacks into Saudi Arabia have increased since a Saudi-led Arab coalition this month stepped up air strikes on insurgent targets inside Yemen in an attempt to shore up the beleaguered government.
Saturday’s attack was the third this week.
On Friday, five foreign residents of Najran were wounded in a rocket strike just west of the city.
Seven civilians were killed on Tuesday when the city center was shelled, with three victims said to be expats.
Tuesday’s toll was the highest reported number of civilian casualties in Saudi Arabia for a single day since the Arab coalition intervened in Yemen in March last year against the Iran-backed Houthi rebels.
More than 100 civilians and soldiers have been killed in southern Saudi Arabia by retaliatory rocket strikes or skirmishes since the coalition began operations in support of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi’s government.

(Additional input from Agence France Presse)


Saudi’s Qassim prepares over 200 mosques for Friday prayers

Updated 04 June 2020

Saudi’s Qassim prepares over 200 mosques for Friday prayers

  • Volunteers will help worshipers disperse between mosques
  • The first call to prayer will be announced 20 minutes earlier

DUBAI: Islamic authority in Qassim region have approved 205 mosques to perform Friday prayers according to new regulations, state news agency SPA reported.

The first call to prayer will be announced 20 minutes earlier, and khutbas – religious address delivered by the imam – to last at maximum for 15 minutes.

Also, volunteers will help worshipers disperse between mosques.

Mosques across the Kingdom, except for those in Makkah, have opened their doors to worshippers on Sunday, May 31, as coronavirus restrictions ease.

Last week, Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Islamic Affairs Sheikh Abdullatif Al-Sheikh called on Muslims to respect ongoing safety measures inside mosques, such as bringing their own prayer mats, wearing masks and washing hands prior to entering the vicinities.

Al-Asheikh said preventative measures will remain in place to ensure a safe return of worshipers to mosques for Friday prayers from May 31 until June 20.