1,950 mobile shops closed for not hiring Saudis

PUNISHED: In the Makkah region, 582 mobile shops were closed.
Updated 23 August 2016

1,950 mobile shops closed for not hiring Saudis

JEDDAH: The number of establishments that have been closed down at the end of the first phase of the implementation of the nationalization of jobs in the telecommunications sector has risen to 1,950. Of this number, 582 are in the Makkah region. Inspection teams have served notices to a further 923 shops to explain why their shops should not be closed for not meeting the deadline of employing at least half their staff from among citizens by the beginning of Ramadan.
During inspections, the teams detected 3,458 violations, of which 2,535 were referred to the sanctioning panel.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Labor and Social Development confirmed a drop in the number of violations and a rise in the number of establishments adhering to the Saudization of jobs decision. Up to 22,413 establishments were reported complying with decision until the 17th of Dul Qaada.
Fahad Al-Awaidi, undersecretary for inspections and improvement of the work environment at the ministry, said this figure is the result of 25,965 inspection visits made by the ministry’s teams across the Kingdom. He said the decision involves the sectorial application of all categories and sizes of the establishments.
“The application of the decision to limit the work on the sale and maintenance of communication equipment and accessories on male and female Saudis initially resulted in positive outcomes. The decision gave the children of our Kingdom the opportunity to work in this vital sector that provides them with job stability and good material returns,” said the undersecretary.
He asserted the continuation of the inspection campaigns conducted by the ministries of Labor and Social Development, Municipal and Rural Affairs, and Commerce and Investment with the help of the security agencies until the whole sector is totally Saudized by the 1st of Dul Hijjah this year.
Al-Awaidi stressed the fact that the ministry will not be tolerant toward the violators of this decision, calling all parties to report any violation in this regard through the website of the ministry on the link www.rasd.ma3an.gov.sa. “The ministry will immediately address any report out of its keenness on improving and developing the work environment,” he concluded.


US State Department calls Saudi Arabia ‘important strategic partner’

Updated 25 February 2020

US State Department calls Saudi Arabia ‘important strategic partner’

  • The comments come following US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's visit to the Kingdom
  • Pompeo discussed regional issues with King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman

WASHINGTON: The US State Department on Monday said Saudi Arabia was an "important strategic partner" and paid tribute to the "historical relations" between the two countries.

The comments come following US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's visit to the Kingdom during a tour of Middle East and African countries last week.

The State Department added that Pompeo discussed regional issues with King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and said the US-Saudi Arabia relationship was a "distinct" one that went beyond confronting Iran.

Opinion

This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)

It also said that the situation in Syria was "catastrophic," while calling on Russia and Iran to do more to protect civilians and saying there was no military solution to the conflict in the country.

The department also spoke about the situation in Iraq, saying the Iraqi Prime Minister-designate, Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi, must include the Kurds and Sunnis in the formation of a government.

The US said that Iran was responsible for aggression against its interests in Iraq and said it would prevent Iraqi militias from attacking the Green Zone.