Police looking for suspects in rape case

Updated 18 July 2012

Police looking for suspects in rape case

Saudi police are searching for a man and his son in connection with the rape and torture of a Filipino woman in Turaif, a small city in northern Saudi Arabia.
The victim, who is believed to have been sexually assaulted by her employer’s son, has been rescued and is currently in custody at the Philippine Embassy.
The embassy said that it learned of the case only on July 8.
Ezzedin Tago, the Philippines ambassador, refused to share more information about the case.
The victim, who has not been identified, is now staying at the embassy’s Bahay Kalinga temporary rescue shelter, said the embassy in a statement on its website.
She was immediately turned over to embassy officials after her complaint was filed with the police.
The statement said the employer and his son are on the run and their whereabouts are not known.
The statement added an embassy team went to Turaif in northern Saudi Arabia to verify reports that the woman was raped and to rescue her.
The team arrived at the employer's house on July 10 accompanied by Turaif police.
Officers forcibly entered the house and secured the woman who expressed happiness at her rescue, said a Filipino community leader who is closely following the case.
He, however, said the victim was saddened the case had gone public.
He requested Arab News not to identify the girl.
The embassy also reminded Filipinos in the Kingdom and their families in the Philippines to refrain from publishing sensitive information through social media platforms or other means regarding such cases as it may prejudice any ongoing investigations.
In another similar and recent case, a Filipino woman who was raped by her employer’s two sons was able to escape, only to be captured again by a prostitution den in the Eastern Province.
Several cases of sexual assaults were reported in 2011 and during the first half of 2012.
Seventy percent of Filipino domestic workers suffer physical and psychological violence, claims a study released by the Philippine's Committee on Overseas Workers Welfare.
In recent years, the Philippine embassies in Arab countries and other government agencies have collected hundreds of testimonies of young women and men tortured and abused in their workplaces.
Since Nov. 3 last year, the Philippines and Indonesian governments have been trying to reach agreements with Arab states including the Kingdom to guarantee a minimum wage and more protection from abuse for their migrant workers.


Businesses in Saudi Arabia face repercussions for ignoring COVID-19 regulations

Updated 23 October 2020

Businesses in Saudi Arabia face repercussions for ignoring COVID-19 regulations

JEDDAH: The Saudi Food and Drug Authority (FDA) has referred five establishments under its supervision to the Ministry of Interior due to their failure to adhere to COVID-19 precautionary measures.
The FDA announced that violations were detected during inspection visits to a factory and four warehouses in Jeddah. The violations were reported to the Interior Ministry to take action against violators.
The violations include a lack of commitment to safety instructions such as taking employee and customers’ temperature prior to entering the facility, wearing face-masks and securing sanitizers in designated places.
The authority had previously issued a detailed guidebook that addresses preventive requirements to help facilities of food, drugs, cosmetic and medical equipments to limit the virus outbreak.
Meanwhile, the Health Ministry continues its inspection campaign — in place since the virus outbreak — on private health facilities to ensure compliance with precautionary and social distancing measures, where violators are to be referred to the concerned authorities.
Health Ministry spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly warned on Twitter against a second wave of COVID-19 in the Kingdom. “If we do not all adhere to the preventive measures and if the lack of cooperation and loosening of commitment continues, then we will be at risk of a second wave and an increase in case numbers,” he said. “We do not want to reach this stage.”
“The steps to prevent that are simple; wear a mask, keep a safe space, wash or sanitize your hands, take a test when you contact a confirmed case or witness symptoms in yourself.”
Saudi Arabia reported 401 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Thursday, meaning that 343,774 people have now contracted the disease. There are 8,343 active cases receiving medical care, while 791 are in critical condition.
In addition, 466 patients have recovered, raising the total number of recoveries to 330,181.
The ministry also announced 15 new COVID-19-related deaths on Thursday. The death toll now stands at 5,250.
Saudi Arabia has so far conducted 7,562,663 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests, with 53,523 carried out in the past 24 hours.