Terror attack ‘was funded from abroad’

Updated 11 November 2014

Terror attack ‘was funded from abroad’

The alleged perpetrators of last week’s attack in Al-Dalwah in Al-Ahsa received funds from abroad just days before they carried out their operation, an informed source from the security apparatus has told Asharq Al-Awsat, a sister publication of Arab News.
The source was quoted as saying on Monday that the investigations into the bank accounts of the suspects arrested last Wednesday in Qassim showed that they had received money from foreign and domestic sources shortly before the attack.
Weapons and cash was found during the arrests on Wednesday, the source said, adding that those apprehended were part of a terror cell that was planning further attacks on Saudi soil.
The security source said that in addition to the 33 suspects, another two people had been arrested on Saturday evening in the Eastern Province, bringing the number of those arrested to 35. The source said that all those arrested so far are Saudis, and that some of them had been previously engaged in fighting in regional conflicts, while others were convicted of criminal offenses in Saudi Arabia. A few had been fugitives.
“The criminal plans of this terror cell have now been completely thwarted,” the source said, adding that its members had been able to secure lodging and funds.
Those involved were “fully aware that some of their colleagues had been involved in previous terror operations and wanted by the security services, and that by concealing them from the authorities they were putting themselves in danger.”
The source added: “The country’s security apparatus remains completely vigilant, ready to intercept with full force all those who seek to spread chaos within (Saudi) society, especially considering what is happening in countries neighboring Saudi Arabia during this period.”


Prince Khalid bin Salman meets top US military commander in Middle East

Updated 14 min 27 sec ago

Prince Khalid bin Salman meets top US military commander in Middle East

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Deputy Defense Minister Prince Khalid bin Salman met with America’s top military commander in the Middle East on Tuesday.

Prince Khalid and Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, commander of US Central Command, discussed cooperation between the two countries “particularly in the defense field, and the importance of strengthening security and military cooperation,” Saudi Press Agency reported.

They also discussed the latest developments in the region and the “joint efforts made towards them to serves international peace and security.”