Authorities on high alert after blizzard

Updated 23 February 2015

Authorities on high alert after blizzard

Health and security officials in Tabuk have been on full alert because of snowstorms in the northwestern part of the Kingdom over the past two days. The affected areas are Al-Dhaher, Alakan, Abu Al-Hanshan, Attabaq, Tinenar, Wadi Al-Asmar, Al-Lawz Mountain and Al-Aniq.
The Saudi Red Crescent has reinforced its teams with extra officials to take care of the large numbers of people who are enjoying the snow. The Civil Defense has issued early warnings to alert people to take care and follow safety measures in such extreme weather conditions.
Khaled Al-Enaizi, spokesman of the Saudi Red Crescent in Tabuk, said 11 teams had been assigned to parks and locations of heavy snowfalls where citizens and residents are out around the clock.
Auda Al-Atawi, spokesman for the health affairs in Tabuk, said they were ready with rescue teams to deal with current weather conditions according to directions from the Civil Defense. He said four mobile units were ready to offer field support at any location.
He said the authorities are coordinating with the Civil Defense and the Red Crescent through the crisis and emergency center which is affiliated with the Health Ministry. Medical support is readily available if needed.
The General Traffic Directorate in Tabuk prepared field teams under the leadership of a number of officers in Alakan, Al-Zaita and the Al-Lawz Mountain, according to Gen. Mohammad Al-Bugami, the traffic director. He said his directorate had implemented a traffic plan to deal with the rain and snowfall and the resulting traffic congestion.
He said the plan included assigning a number of officers and individuals and dividing them into groups to carry out traffic security tasks around the clock. He said that all necessary procedures to guarantee traffic safety for people in these areas are being taken.


Saudi Arabia announces 35 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 14 August 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 35 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 262,959
  • A total of 3,338 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 35 more deaths from COVID-19 and 1,383 new cases of the disease on Friday.

Of the new cases, 81 were recorded in Makkah, 77 in Hail, 69 in Jeddah and 63 in Riyadh.

The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 262,959 after 2,566 more patients recovered from the virus.

A total of 3,338 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.

On Thursday, the health ministry announced Saudi Arabia had conducted more than 4 million COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests since the beginning of the outbreak.