Ministry issues new MERS alert as 12 more cases surface

Ministry issues new MERS alert as 12 more cases surface
Updated 18 May 2015

Ministry issues new MERS alert as 12 more cases surface

Ministry issues new MERS alert as 12 more cases surface

RIYADH: Twelve cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) were reported from various parts of the Kingdom between May 10 and May 16. The incidence has triggered fresh alert against the virus because fewer cases were reported in the preceding weeks, the Health Ministry said.
However, the figures last week are lower compared to the corresponding period last year, the Ministry said, adding that “we cannot let our guard down.”
The cases were reported from Riyadh, Jeddah, Taif, Qunfuda and Hafoof, the Health Ministry said. “This suggests that the alert against the virus should continue and cooperation from people and health workers is needed.”
The cases of MERS in the Kingdom till Sunday (May 17) have reached 999 since the discovery of the virus in June 2012. A total of 552 patients (55.30 percent) have recovered and 433 (43.30 percent) succumbed to the illness. In all, 13 patients are being treated in hospitals, in addition to a patient who in isolation, Ministry said.
“Most of the patients who died had underlying conditions like diabetes, kidney disorders and obesity,” it said.
The ministry said that it was taking all the necessary measures to fight the virus through its health centers and is strictly monitoring private hospitals to ensure compliance of instructions on MERS.
The ministry has appealed to people to take precautionary measures and also abstain from eating camel meat without cooking it properly or drinking its milk without boiling it. It has also asked people to avoid mingling with sick camels or people with severe cold symptoms.
The ministry has set up a 24-hour toll free hotline 937 for queries or reporting of suspected cases.