More strikes as Houthis pay the price for rejecting Riyadh conference demands

More strikes as Houthis pay the price for rejecting Riyadh conference demands
Updated 22 May 2015

More strikes as Houthis pay the price for rejecting Riyadh conference demands

More strikes as Houthis pay the price for rejecting Riyadh conference demands

JEDDAH: Saudi-led coalition planes struck several Houthi locations on Thursday that were being used to launch operations on civilians.
Sources said the strikes covered areas in Taaz, including Cairo Castle, and positions in Dalie. The attacks come in the wake of Houthi chief Abdul Malik Al-Houthi rejecting decisions taken at a conference in Riyadh and continuing hostilities.
The coalition forces had earlier hit weapons stores on Jabal Naqm in Sanaa and columns of supplies and rebels on their way to Taaz, Aden and Dalie, said the sources. According to reports, the coalition planes had dropped warning leaflets to warn people to keep away from these sites.
The Houthi leader had earlier criticized the gathering of Yemen’s leaders in Riyadh, accusing them of worsening internal strife in the country. He claimed he was defending the Yemeni people.
Meanwhile, spokesman of the Border Guard Maj. Gen. Muhammed Al-Ghamdi said the Kingdom’s army has secured the country’s border areas. People living there were going about their daily business without fear. All attempts at attacking cities have been thwarted, he said. He said the death of Pvt. Hassan Somaili on Wednesday has inspired other soldiers to defend the borders with added vigor. He said soldiers are killed every year during encounters with smugglers or terrorists.
He said 4,154 unarmed infiltrators were arrested last month. There were also 331 people arrested, of five nationalities, who attempted to leave the Kingdom.
The Border Guard recently seized 815 weapons and 10,485 rounds of ammunition, more than 260,000 narcotic pills, 227 kg of hashish and 179 tons of qat.