Terror tweeters rejoiced while mosque bombed

Updated 24 May 2015

Terror tweeters rejoiced while mosque bombed

JEDDAH: While millions of Saudis were sharing the usual Friday messages of prayers and religious verses, terrorists, particularly from Mesopotamia, were sending messages about bombing in eastern Saudi Arabia.
Even before Saudis circulated the news of the devastating suicide blast in a mosque at Al-Qadeeh in Qatif, tweeters claiming to be IS representatives were posting messages of the mosque attack, claiming responsibility for the criminal and cowardly act.
Photos of bodies strewn all around in the mosque were circulated by terrorists and their sympathizers, expressing pleasure and delight at the “victory.”
A tweet remarked “good news” that one of them carried out a suicide attack inside “a polytheistic worship house.”
Some of the tweets mocked at the condemnation of the attack by Saudis on social media.
In some messages, the security authorities were ridiculed, citing the example of the Dalawa attack, which was carried out last Muharam by announcing that the man who implemented the operation reached Iraq safely. However, the Saudi security forces had already arrested the main suspect and others involved in the attack.
Ahmad Al-Mokly, a researcher in terrorism affairs, has been quoted as saying by local media that such tweets are not strange. They are coming from Iraq and Syria, where the group has grabbed many areas, the latest being Ramadi in Iraq and Palmyra in Syria, he said.
“Some misled Saudis who have joined IS have their hearts still attached to Saudi Arabia, not for the love of their country and people, but to spell the blood of innocents for the love of God, as they claim,” he said.
Al-Mokly said that some of the twitters may have been involved in Friday’s attack in some way or the other, either in planning or training the bomber. “It is possible that the man who carried out the suicide blast himself posted the tweets before the attack. These groups seldom assign a Saudi leader,” he added.
Al-Molky said the group (IS) seeks to wreak havoc in Saudi Arabia. “First, the group targeted individuals such as foreigners and security members. But such targets did not achieve their goals, so they are now targeting the regions with Shia populations, with the sole intention of dividing Shias and Sunnis,” he added.


Saudi Arabia launches investigation into firearm incident at AlUla-Neom rally

Updated 11 November 2019

Saudi Arabia launches investigation into firearm incident at AlUla-Neom rally

  • A man intercepted one of the rally drivers and came at him with a gun
  • The suspect's firearm and vehicle have been seized

RIYADH: A criminal investigation has been launched after an armed man intercepted a vehicle taking part in a rally in Saudi Arabia.
The Kingdom’s Public Prosecution said the suspect came out of his car carrying a firearm and aimed it at the driver in a car competing in the AlUla-Neom race.
“The Public Prosecution has ordered the seizure of the firearm and the vehicle used in the crime, and ordered the arrest of the accused pending the case,” a statement issued on the state-run said.
The AlUla-Neom race ran from Tuesday to Saturday and was won by Saudi driver Yazeed Al-Rajhi.
Fifty-nine cars, seven motorcycles, seven quads and one truck tackled the even, which was the third stage of the Saudi Toyota Desert Rally Championship.