Interior Ministry names suspects in Dammam mosque bombing

1 / 4
2 / 4
3 / 4
4 / 4
Updated 04 June 2015

Interior Ministry names suspects in Dammam mosque bombing

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia on Wednesday revealed the identity of the man behind last week’s mosque attack in Dammam, that left four people killed.
Wearing women’s clothing as a disguise, the suicide bomber — identified as 20-year-old Khaled Al-Wahbi Al-Shemari — detonated the explosive belt he was wearing at the entrance of Al-Anoud Mosque, the Interior Ministry said.
The ministry also identified 16 other people linked with that attack and an earlier bombing on a mosque in Qatif that killed 21.
Meanwhile, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman ordered posthumous medals of courage for the four victims in Dammam.
The ministry has also warned that it would prosecute those who have dealings with the suspects. It has offered a reward of SR1 million for information leading to the arrest of one person, SR5 million for more than one, and SR7 million for information leading to the government thwarting a terror operation.
The ministry published the list of the 16 men and their photographs on state television, accusing them of being involved in the two attacks. Members of the public can contact the security agencies on the number 990 if they have any information, the ministry stated.
A suicide bomber disguised as a woman blew himself up on Friday outside Al-Anoud Mosque in Dammam, killing himself and four other people. The ministry identified the bomber as a Saudi citizen, 20-year-old Khalid Al-Wahbi Al-Shammari, according to reports. A week earlier, another suicide bomber blew himself up at a  mosque in the nearby village of Al-Qadeeh, killing 22 people and injuring more than 100 others.


Saudi foreign minister calls for ‘transparent and independent’ Beirut explosion investigation

Updated 48 min 56 sec ago

Saudi foreign minister calls for ‘transparent and independent’ Beirut explosion investigation

  • Prince Faisal bin Farhan told an emergency donors conference that Saudi Arabia stands with Lebanon
  • Minister condemns 'destructive hegemony' of Hezbollah, which has history of storing explosive materials among civilians

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia called for a transparent and independent investigation into the Beirut explosion, the Kingdom’s foreign minister said on Sunday.
Prince Faisal bin Farhan told an emergency donors conference that Saudi Arabia stands with Lebanon. He described the explosion that killed more than 150 people as “horrific.”

Prince Faisal said strong state institutions that work for the interests of the Lebanese people are vital to the reform required to guarantee Lebanon's political and economic future.
“The continued destructive hegemony of the terrorist organization Hezbollah worries us all, and we all know this organization’s history of using explosive materials and storing them among civilians in several Arab and European countries and in north and south America.”
“Lebanon is in dire need of comprehensive and urgent political and economic reform to ensure that this terrible disaster will not occur again,” he said.

He added that four planes carrying Saudi aid have arrived in Beirut.
The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief) has provided 290 tons of medical equipment, food supplies and housing materials.

The conference was hosted by French President Emmanuel Macron.