Four nurses face prosecution over medical error

Four nurses face prosecution over medical error
Updated 30 July 2015

Four nurses face prosecution over medical error

Four nurses face prosecution over medical error

JEDDAH: Health authorities in the Eastern Province are expected to issue a decision soon against four Saudi nurses accused of “negligence” for an incident which led to the amputation of the hand of a Saudi girl after they tried to insert a needle in it at Al-Qatif Central Hospital.
The six-year-old girl, Sakena Al-Mohana, was admitted to the hospital for a respiratory inflammation three months ago, and is currently awaiting surgery in an Egyptian hospital to attach an artificial limb in place of her amputated hand.
Assad Saud, the spokesman of the General Directorate of Health Affairs in the Eastern Province, said investigation procedures began immediately after receiving the complaint from the girl’s family. He said the case was referred to the health authority in the Eastern Province last Monday to consider and issue the appropriate decision.
In turn, Sakena’s mother confirmed that the family had been contacted by the health investigator in the case, who informed them that they had identified the four defendants in the case, who were working in the emergency department of the hospital, after conducting thorough investigations.
“We were provided their names, and told we would receive the appointment of the plenary session,” she said.
She questioned the professionalism of the four nurses, who she said failed to admit to their error. “They have no idea of the extent of our suffering … after our daughter’s hand was amputated due to their errors,” she added.
“We are waiting for a court hearing and the issuance of a just verdict, as well as financial sanctions and fair compensation,” she said.