One dies as rival groups of Asian workers clash, burn police cars

Updated 01 August 2015

One dies as rival groups of Asian workers clash, burn police cars

RIYADH: A mass brawl between migrant workers at a company along Al-Thumama Road broke out in Riyadh on Thursday, causing the death of one worker and the burning of two police vehicles.
A Riyadh police source said authorities received a report on Thursday about the death of a worker inside the company’s residential complex, which houses employees of different nationalities, after a dispute broke out between them.
The dispute intensified between Indian and Bangladeshi workers, quickly escalating into a mass brawl that spread to outside the confines of the company and onto the main road.
Employees attacked a number of passers-by on the road and broke the glass of numerous vehicles, said the source and upon the arrival of police cars to the site, their vehicles were also flipped over and set on fire.
A team of the Special Security Forces arrived shortly after to break up the crowds.
No security official was injured, but investigations are still ongoing, a police source said.
While the Indian Embassy in Riyadh has refused to comment about the causes of the fight, claiming lack of available information, spokesman of the Ministry of Labor, Taiseer Al-Mofrej, confirmed the brawl was not due to delayed wages but was due to personal differences between the employees.
He said the ministry has immediately begun investigating the incident to determine whether the rights of employees had been met, and it reserves the right to punish the company based on the results of the investigation.
The incident comes three months after an incident in Dammam in which a number of foreign workers attacked three citizens and their vehicles after a dispute over items purchased at a local shopping center where the workers had been employed.
According to statistics issued by the Ministry of Labor, close to 8.2 million workers have been employed in the Kingdom for 15 years, while another 1.42 million have spent between 10 and 15 years in the Kingdom. Some 1.62 million workers have spent between 6 and 10 years, while 6.5 million workers have spent more than four years employed in the Kingdom.
Lawyer and legal adviser Abdulrahman Al-Laham said employers hold the majority of the responsibility in cases of employee strikes if they are caused by delayed payment of wages.


King Salman urges Iran to junk its expansionist ideology

Updated 21 November 2019

King Salman urges Iran to junk its expansionist ideology

  • Saudi Arabia has suffered from the policies and practices of the Iranian regime and its proxies, king says
  • Kingdom also welcomed US decision to return Iran's Fordow nuclear facility to its sanctions list

RIYADH: Iran should abandon its expansionist ideology that has only “harmed” its own people, Saudi Arabia's King Salman said on Wednesday, following violent street protests in the Islamic republic.

A wave of demonstrations erupted in the sanctions-hit country on Friday after an announcement that petrol prices would be raised by as much as 200 percent with immediate effect.

“We hope the Iranian regime chooses the side of wisdom and realizes there is no way to overcome the international position that rejects its practices, without abandoning its expansionist and destructive thinking that has harmed its own people,” the king told the consultative Shoura Council.

“The kingdom has suffered from the policies and practices of the Iranian regime and its proxies,” King Salman said, quoted by the foreign ministry, reiterating that Riyadh does not seek war but is “ready to defend its people.”

A satellite image from Sept. 15, 2017, of the Fordow nuclear facility in Iran. (Google Earth)

Saudi Arabia has welcomed Washington's decision to return the Fordow nuclear facility in Iran to the sanctions list. 

Washington said on Monday that it will no longer waive sanctions related to Iran’s Fordow nuclear plant after Tehran resumed uranium enrichment at the underground site. 

“The right amount of uranium enrichment for the world’s largest state sponsor of terror is zero ... There is no legitimate reason for Iran to resume enrichment at this previously clandestine site,” US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters earlier this week.