Women, children target of domestic violence

Updated 23 October 2015

Women, children target of domestic violence

JEDDAH: There were 961 cases of domestic violence reported by the Ministry of Social Affairs in Dammam last year.

This involved physical, psychological and sexual abuse of women and children over the course of the Islamic year that ended on Oct. 14, said Saeed Al-Ghamdi, director of the ministry’s branch in the Eastern Province.
Al-Ghamdi was quoted as saying by a local publication recently that ministry officials had also been involved in cases of women neglecting their children, people running away from home and suicide attempts.
He said the ministry had received 1,057 reports from the public about various forms of abuse, with 961 involving violence. Cases that did not fall within the jurisdiction of the ministry were referred to other agencies, he said.
“Most of the cases involved women and children being denied their basic lawful right to education and health care, or acquiring personal identification documents. Every individual case is addressed. Several cases were amicably resolved between the disputing parties,” said Al-Ghamdi.
He said that some cases were referred to the Eastern Province governorate because the victims did not respond to offers of assistance from the ministry. However, these only involved a few incidents, he said.
Ahmad Al-Shamaari, director of the social protection unit in Dammam, said: “The unit provides protection to women of all ages and children under 18 years of age, and to certain vulnerable groups exposed to abuse and domestic violence.”
He said a 24-hour call center on the number 1919 was established to receive reports on violence and abuse. Ministry officials are empowered to intervene quickly in cases of abuse in cooperation with public and private agencies, he said.
“The unit aims to spread awareness among members of the public on the importance of protecting family members against abuse and violence. It holds workshops and training courses for workers involved in these cases,” he said.
Meanwhile, the social protection unit honored Col. Yasser Al-Zahrani for the efforts throughout his tenure at the unit in the Eastern Province.


KSA highlights support for Bosnia massacre victims

Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal Bin Farhan al Saud delivers a speech during the opening of the UN Human Rights Council's main annual session on February 24, 2020 in Geneva. (AFP)
Updated 13 July 2020

KSA highlights support for Bosnia massacre victims

  • The minister added that King Salman continued to support and stand by Bosnia and Herzegovina, further confirming the unique and friendly relations between the two countries

GENEVA: Saudi Arabia participated in the 25th anniversary memorial of the Srebrenica genocide that took place in July 1995.
Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah delivered the Kingdom’s speech via video conference.
He conveyed the greetings of King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the chairman of the Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sefik Dzaferovic, and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, and dignitaries who were participating in the event.
The minister affirmed that Saudi Arabia stood side by side with its brothers, the families of the victims of the massacre.
He said: “Our participation on behalf of Saudi Arabia, its leaders, government, and people, is a humanitarian and moral obligation that the Saudi leadership stands by every year.”
The minister added that King Salman continued to support and stand by Bosnia and Herzegovina, further confirming the unique and friendly relations between the two countries.