KSA shelters 1 million Yemeni refugees

Updated 30 November 2015

KSA shelters 1 million Yemeni refugees

JEDDAH: Yemeni Foreign Minister Riad Yassin recently warned that Yemen may be on the brink of social collapse after recent insurgency acts, a local newspaper reported.
Yassin said that future Iranian attempts to interfere in the country might involve trying to “create a state inside another state,” and could force a situation similar to the model of Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Yassin also revealed that more than 1 million Yemeni nationals have sought refuge in Saudi Arabia since the Houthi coup.
“Yemenis feel that they are comfortable in the Kingdom, and that their dignity can be maintained here. Meanwhile, Europe has made a big buzz around the world for its inability to accommodate 150,000 Syrian refugees,” said the minister.
“Yemen, after the victory achieved in the Gold Arrow Operation and the progress toward regaining all of the governorates and provinces, will still have to consider seriously how to closely and strategically reconnect with the Gulf states. There must be some mechanisms put in place to link Yemen with its neighboring states. If Yemen is left to only dream about joining the Gulf Cooperation Council, it will suffer major political or economical problems, and could even go bankrupt,” he said.


Arab coalition: Iran provided weapons used to attack Saudi Aramco sites

Updated 16 September 2019

Arab coalition: Iran provided weapons used to attack Saudi Aramco sites

  • US official says all options, including a military response, are on the table
  • Washington blames Iran for the attack on an oil processing plant and an oil field

RIYADH: Iran provided the weapons used to strike two Saudi Aramco facilities in the Kingdom, the Arab coalition fighting in Yemen said Tuesday.

“The investigation is continuing and all indications are that weapons used in both attacks came from Iran,” coalition spokesman Turki Al-Maliki told reporters in Riyadh, adding they were now probing “from where they were fired.”

The coalition supports the Yemen government in the war against the Iran-backed Houthi militants, which claimed they had carried out the attack on Saturday.

*********

READ MORE: 

OPINION: From Tokyo to Toronto: Why attacking Saudi Aramco affects the whole world

The shadowy forces attacking civilian targets in Saudi Arabia

Pressure grows in US for firm response to Iran after Aramco attacks 

*********

US officials have said Iran was behind the attack on an oil processing plant and an oil field, and that the raid did not come from Yemen, but from the other direction.

“This strike didn't come from Yemen territory as the Houthi militia are pretending,” Maliki said, adding that an investigation was ongoing into the attacks and their origins.

The Houthis have carried out scores of attacks against Saudi Arabia using drones and ballistic missiles.

Al-Maliki labelled the Houthis “a tool in the hands of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and the terrorist regime of Iran.”

The attacks against Abqaiq, the world's largest oil processing facility, and the Khurais oil field in eastern Saudi Arabia knocked out nearly half of Saudi Arabia’s oil production.

Crude prices rocketed on Monday by more than 10 percent.

Iran has denied involvement, something Trump questioned Sunday in a tweet saying “we'll see?”

A satellite image of Saudi Aramco infrastructure at Khurais. (US Government/DigitalGlobe/ via Reuters)

On Sunday, the US president raised the possibility of military retaliation after the strikes, saying Washington was “locked and loaded” to respond.

The US has offered a firm response in support of its ally, and is considering increasing its intelligence sharing with Saudi Arabia as a result of the attack, Reuters reported.

A US official told AP that all options, including a military response, were on the table, but added that no decisions had been made.

The US government late Monday produced satellite photos showing what officials said were at least 19 points of impact at the oil processing plant at Abqaiq and the Khurais oil field. Officials said the photos show impacts consistent with the attack coming from the direction of Iran or Iraq, rather than from Yemen to the south.

Iraq said the attacks were not launched from its territory and on Sunday Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi said US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had told him that Washington possesses information that backs up the Iraqi government’s denial.

Condemnation of the attacks continued from both within Saudi Arabia and from around the world.

Saudi Arabia’s Shura Council called Tuesday for concerted efforts to hold those behind the attacks accountable.

Meanwhile, the UN’s special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths said the attacks on Abqaiq and Khurais had consequences well beyond the region and risked dragging Yemen into a “regional conflagration.”