3 Saudi girls escape from shelter

Updated 16 December 2015

3 Saudi girls escape from shelter

JEDDAH: The authorities in Jeddah are looking into the escape of three Saudi girls from the Hospitality House of the Jeddah Social Affairs Directorate a few days ago.
They are trying to find out where the the girls went and who helped them escape. Sources in the Ministry of Social Affairs were quoted as telling a local publication that the initial investigation did not reveal the whereabouts of the girls.
This incident is the second of its kind where the reasons and motives of the girls who ran away from the shelter is not known.
The sources said the authorities will refer the girls after arresting them to the Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution in the province, noting that the girls lived in the Hospitality House after serving their prison terms since their families refused to take them back. The house looks after and provides for all such people.
In the first incident, the girls broke the emergency door of the house and went away although their stay at the house is optional after their families refused to take them back. The girls in such situations stay in the house until they reach an understanding with their families. The Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution interrogated two suspects linked to the incident.
The Hospitality House in Jeddah receives and gives shelter to juveniles in danger of delinquency, who have been referred to it by competent bodies. They are offered services and behavioral modification according to educational and correctional programs with the coordination of departments and entities concerned with juvenile issues.


King Salman urges Iran to junk its expansionist ideology

Updated 21 November 2019

King Salman urges Iran to junk its expansionist ideology

  • Saudi Arabia has suffered from the policies and practices of the Iranian regime and its proxies, king says
  • Kingdom also welcomed US decision to return Iran's Fordow nuclear facility to its sanctions list

RIYADH: Iran should abandon its expansionist ideology that has only “harmed” its own people, Saudi Arabia's King Salman said on Wednesday, following violent street protests in the Islamic republic.

A wave of demonstrations erupted in the sanctions-hit country on Friday after an announcement that petrol prices would be raised by as much as 200 percent with immediate effect.

“We hope the Iranian regime chooses the side of wisdom and realizes there is no way to overcome the international position that rejects its practices, without abandoning its expansionist and destructive thinking that has harmed its own people,” the king told the consultative Shoura Council.

“The kingdom has suffered from the policies and practices of the Iranian regime and its proxies,” King Salman said, quoted by the foreign ministry, reiterating that Riyadh does not seek war but is “ready to defend its people.”

A satellite image from Sept. 15, 2017, of the Fordow nuclear facility in Iran. (Google Earth)

Saudi Arabia has welcomed Washington's decision to return the Fordow nuclear facility in Iran to the sanctions list. 

Washington said on Monday that it will no longer waive sanctions related to Iran’s Fordow nuclear plant after Tehran resumed uranium enrichment at the underground site. 

“The right amount of uranium enrichment for the world’s largest state sponsor of terror is zero ... There is no legitimate reason for Iran to resume enrichment at this previously clandestine site,” US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters earlier this week.