School staff to train in child health

Updated 01 January 2016

School staff to train in child health

RIYADH: The Ministry of Health has finally won its battle against the Ministry of Education over taking on and incorporating school health, nearly three years after the decision was made to integrate the services.
Sources at the Ministry of Health said the two ministries formed numerous committees to put in place a strategy for the merging and integration of school health.
Despite the addition of school health under the Ministry of Health, however, both ministries will share in the responsibility, said the source, where “medical and health supervision will be carried out by doctors at the Ministry of Health, while specialists among teachers under the Ministry of Education will take on health awareness efforts,” said the source.
The transition period will see the integration of school health units under the Ministry of Health, with changes in logos, slogans and references.
Under the new regulations, students in need will be transferred to primary health care centers, while school nurses and members of the school community will be trained in the field of school health. The Ministry of Education is to allocate two teachers from each school with 100 students or more, or one teacher at schools with 100 students or less, to help the nurse carry out school health needs. Such selected teachers will have their weekly class quotas reduced by no more than eight classes per week.
According to a source at the Ministry of Education, the school health department at the ministry “sent a letter to the department of teachers’ affairs at the ministry requesting the allocation of health supervisors among teachers and reducing their weekly class quotas to allow them partial time to address school health affairs.”
The department in turn “held up the letter, arguing that it depends on the lack of follow-up of students’ heath, especially in light of the spread of some diseases these days.”

Director General of School Health at the Ministry of Education Suleiman Al-Shahri said whether or not health units will be the “property” of the Ministry of Health will be determined during the next two weeks.


Saudi Arabia announces 22 more COVID-19 deaths

Updated 01 June 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 22 more COVID-19 deaths

  • The total number of confirmed cases in the Kingdom so far has reached 87,142
  • A total of 525 people have died from COVID-19 in Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia announced 22 new deaths from COVID-19 and 1,881 new cases of the disease on Monday. 
Of the new cases, 688 were recorded in Riyadh, 293 in Jeddah , and 290 in Dammam. 
The total number of confirmed cases in the Kingdom so far has reached 87,142. 
The health ministry also announced that 1,864 more patients had recovered from the coronavirus, bringing the total number of people who have recovered in the Kingdom to 64,306.
A total of 525 people have died from COVID-19 in Saudi Arabia.