Cell phone Saudization clarified

Updated 20 March 2016

Cell phone Saudization clarified

JEDDAH: The Labor Ministry has not allowed non-Saudi sons of Saudi women to work in sales and maintenance jobs in cell phone stores. The ministry has ordered that these jobs be reserved strictly for male and female Saudis.

Over the last three days the ministry received several calls from the children of Saudi women married to foreigners. They wanted to know whether they can be listed on the Nitaqat nationalization program as Saudis. The ministry officials replied that these jobs are not for them.
The decision was made after the ministry had previously stated, according to a local publication, concerning the lack of separation which the private expat enjoys from the “son, daughter, husband and wife” of nationals away from positions that are restricted to Saudis — and are counted for Nitaqat points for the companies as part of their Saudization.
On the existence of regulations, legal expert Tareq Al-Ibrahim said that the labor law calculated sections of the sons, daughters and wives of nationals within the localization program in private sector jobs which allows Saudization of mobile shops open to these sectors in accordance with the labor law.
As for jobs limited to Saudis, he said: “Pertaining to the question of earmarking these jobs goes back to officials in the Labor Ministry which they decided based on available data because the ministry has information on vacant jobs that could be held by Saudis.”
Nineteen professions have been nationalized and are meant only for Saudis, and Saudis are working in those jobs. The ministry had the right to earmark other professions for Saudis only and use that for the calculation of Nitaqat points.
The Labor Ministry announced recently about the Saudization of the mobile sector in cooperation with other government parties represented in the ministries of municipal and rural affairs and commerce and industry, Communications and Information Technology Commission, Human Resources Development Fund and Technical and Vocational Training Corporation (TVTC), coupled with the participation of a number of private sector firms.


Saudi Arabia eases coronavirus lockdown restrictions

Updated 26 May 2020

Saudi Arabia eases coronavirus lockdown restrictions

  • Curfew to be eased on Sunday, except in Makkah, as domestic travel permitted
  • All curfews in Saudi Arabia to be lifted by June 20

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia announced the easing of restrictions that has halted much of the activity in the country due to the coronavirus pandemic.

As of Sunday 31, May, the curfew on all areas of the Kingdom will be eased, except Makkah. Movement in cities and within the regions of the country will again be permitted, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Tuesday.

The easing will mean the Kingdom’s 24-hour lockdown is relaxed with a curfew from 3 p.m to 6 a.m until Sunday, after which the hours will change to 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.. Makkah will remain under a full 24-hour lockdown.

On June 21, all curfews in the Kingdom will be lifted and prayers at Makkah’s mosque will be permitted.

Before then, social distancing guidelines must continue to be adhered to and gatherings of more than 50 people will continue to be banned.

Authorities have also allowed the attendance at ministries, government agencies and private sector companies, and the return of their office activities.

Some economic and commercial activities will also be allowed to take place including those at wholesale and retail shops, as well as malls. Cafes will be permitted to operate once more.

However, all job sectors where social distancing rules are harder to achieve such as beauty salons, barbershops, sports and health clubs, recreational centers and cinemas will remain closed.

Umrah pilgrimage and international flights will continue to be suspended until further notice.

The new rules are subject to constant evaluation at the health ministry and can be changed if the situation warrants it.

Earlier, Dr. Tawfiq Al-Rabiah, the health minister, said: “The phases start gradually until we return to normalcy, with its new concept based on social distancing.” 

He added that the precautionary steps taken by the Kingdom early in the outbreak helped to limit the spread of the virus. 

Now, he said, the ministry has developed a plan for the next phase that relies on two main factors: The capacity of the health care system to cope with critical cases, and the expansion of testing to identify new infections as soon as possible.

Reassuring the Saudi nation on Monday, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said: “The bad conditions will pass, God willing, and we are heading toward the good, God willing.” 

The Kingdom recorded 2,235 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, taking the total to 74,795, and the death toll rose by nine to 399. Worldwide the virus has infected more than 5.5 million people and killed nearly 350,000.