Man dies after eating honey concoction

Man dies after eating honey concoction
Updated 21 March 2016

Man dies after eating honey concoction

Man dies after eating honey concoction

JEDDAH: A man in his 40s in the Al-Shamli region, 180 km to the southwest of Hail, died after eating a mixture of blended honey he bought from a street vendor to treat his cough.
After eating the honey, the man lost consciousness and was immediately taken to a hospital in Al-Shamli and then to Hail General Hospital where the doctors pronounced him dead on Thursday, a local newspaper reported.
Fadel Al-Khamshi, uncle to the sons of the dead man, Saqer Muaid, 42, said that his relative was in good health but only suffered from cough.
“His health quickly deteriorated after he the honey mixture. He was first in Al-Shamli Hospital for five days, then was moved to Hail where the doctors there announced his death at around 9:30 on Thursday,” he explained.
He said the family had filed a complaint with Al-Shamli police against two Arab workers who sold the honey, noting that the two Arab men originally worked in the construction business. They have been detained by Al-Shamli police.
“The deceased man’s two children, aged 6 and 8, also ate some of the honey which caused severe stomach ache and resulted in their being hospitalized for three days,” the uncle added.
Meanwhile, a well-informed source in the Al-Shamli municipality said a committee from the health department had been formed to investigate the death of the man.
The source said the municipality permits the sale of such mixtures only if they are licensed by the Ministry of Health.
He noted the existence of an agreement with the Saudi Food and Drugs Authority (SFDA) to withdraw any herbal extracts with dangerous side-effects.
Dr. Sami Saeed, family medicine specialist, said that many patients are unaware of the seriousness of the use of alternative medicine and herbs which can lead to other problems or even death.