Cell phone stores announce job vacancies for Saudis

Updated 04 April 2016

Cell phone stores announce job vacancies for Saudis

JEDDAH: Mobile phone store owners in the city have displayed advertisements on their establishments announcing job vacancies for Saudi youths and certain terms and conditions, following a directive by the Labor Ministry to have 100 percent nationalization in the sector.
Labor Minister Mufrej Al-Haqabani has ordered that Saudis be employed in the entire mobile phone industry, covering sales, maintenance and accessories by Sept. 2.
The shop owners are ready to hire Saudis but say that the applicant will have to fulfill certain requirements.
Abu Mohammed, who has announced a vacancy for Saudi youth at his mobile phone store, said the job seekers should agree to the salary of SR4,000 for the posts of salesman and supervisor and SR3,000 for technician.
He said the applicants should have at least five months experience in mobile maintenance field, be ready to work for 12 hours in two shifts and should be aged 18 years and above.
He said that he wants the employees to deliver professional service so the customers, who have been coming to his shop for a long time, will not have any complaints.
The decision will be implemented in cooperation with the ministries of commerce and industry, municipal and rural affairs and communications and information technology, Al-Haqabani had said last month.
It followed notices sent to companies and employees in the industry telling them to have 50 percent Saudi employees in three months and 100 percent in six months, ending on Sept. 2 this year.
The aim is to create jobs for Saudi men and women that would give them financial stability and minimize cover-up activities. The decision must be enforced across the country and include small, medium and large businesses, the ministry has stated.
The ministry has said that it would work with the Human Resources Development Fund (HRDF), Technical and Vocational Training Corporation (TVTC), General Organization for Social Insurance, and other agencies.


Fifth Jeddah International Book Fair opened by Makkah governor

Updated 12 December 2019

Fifth Jeddah International Book Fair opened by Makkah governor

JEDDAH: Prince Khalid Al-Faisal, the governor of Makkah, officially opened the fifth edition of the Jeddah International Book Fair on Wednesday.

The prince toured the event, at which 400 publishing houses from 40 countries are taking part, and honored three renowned figures from the local literature and media scenes: Dr. Hashem Abdo Hashem, the former editor in chief of Okaz newspaper; writer Abdel Fattah Abu Madian; and writer Meshaal bin Muhammad Al-Sudairy.

Prince Mishaal bin Majed, the governor of Jeddah and chairman of the exhibition’s Higher Committee, thanked Price Khalid for his support of the fair since it was founded. He also expressed his gratitude to King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for their great support.

He added that the success of the event is the result of the hard work of a number of organizations. In particular, he wished the Ministry of Culture continued success in organizing the fair as part of its efforts to develop culture in the Kingdom as one of the pillars of Saudi Vision 2030.

Other VIP guests and dignitaries at the inauguration of the fair included Prince Badr bin Sultan, the deputy governor of Makkah; Prince Saud bin Abdullah, adviser to the governor of Makkah; and Prince Khalid bin Mishaal, deputy governor of Jeddah.

The book fair continues at Land of Events in South Abhur until Dec. 21.