Ta’leem 2016 to open with France as guest of honor

Updated 12 April 2016

Ta’leem 2016 to open with France as guest of honor

RIYADH: Under the patronage of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman, the fifth annual Saudi International Exhibition and Forum for Education (Ta’leem 2016) will kick off Tuesday night with France as the guest of honor country.
The three-day event will be launched at the Riyadh International Exhibition and Conference Center at King Abdullah Road here, under the theme “investment in education.”
Around 250 exhibitors from the Kingdom and 25 other countries are participating in the event comprising an exhibition and a forum.
Prominent speakers from both the Kingdom and foreign countries are contributing to the forum.
On choosing France as guest of honor country for this year’s edition of the exhibition and conference, Minister of Education Ahmad Al-Issa said earlier that France is a friendly advanced country in education and educational investment that getting more attention from Saudi education officials as well as from Saudis citizens who are interested in pursuing further studies there, whether on government scholarships or on their own means.
French Ambassador to the Kingdom Bertrand Besancenot told Arab News in exclusive statements that he and his country are very grateful to the Kingdom for selecting France as guest of honor at Ta’leem 2016.
“This is very significant step as France has been a long-time friend of Saudi Arabia, as well as one of the best allies and partners of the Kingdom. Since 2015, we have set up a special Franco-Saudi committee that meets on a regular basis that helps our cooperation move forward in all fields and in the field of education in particular,” he said.
“When Prince Khaled bin Faisal started to reform the education system in 2014, France was one of the first countries to offer support, since we believe progress begins with a modern education system that meets society’s needs,” he added.
Besancenot stressed that Saudi society faces two main challenges today. The first is the “Saudization” of the labor market, which requires a more efficient training and vocational system to fit business needs. And the second is the fight against terrorism and religious extremism, which requires redesigning some education programs.
On his country’s contribution to Ta’leem 2016, he mentioned that France will display a wide range of expertise on how to invest successfully in education through modern facilities (e.g. high tech nurseries, primary and secondary schools, connected campuses, etc.) and vocational training institutions (e.g. technical high schools, technological institutes).
“Many French governmental institutions will attend the event, notably the Ministry of Education and Scientific Research, the Académie of Paris (the local administration in charge of implementing the national education policy for Paris), Campus France (the national agency for the promotion of higher education), the CREDIJ (the “French TVTC”) and some cutting-edge private universities and “grandes écoles,” he said.
“There will also be French companies specialized in education, including start-ups with high development potential in Saudi Arabia. The aim of the French pavilion will be to provide a large number of education advisers and specialists to explain and show how education reform has been dealt with in France. That could be a source of inspiration for Saudi Arabia in its own short- and long-term reforms,” he added.


Saudi Arabia isolates neighborhoods in Jeddah governorate to fight coronavirus

Updated 05 April 2020

Saudi Arabia isolates neighborhoods in Jeddah governorate to fight coronavirus

  • Entrance to and exit from these seven neighborhoods in the Jeddah governorate is forbidden
  • Several national entities partner to launch COVID-19 research grant

JEDDAH: The Saudi Interior Ministry imposed a 24-hour curfew on seven neighborhoods in Jeddah governorate on Saturday as an additional measure to combat the spread of the coronavirus.

The neighborhoods are: Kilo 14 South, Kilo 14 North, Al-Mahjar, Ghulail, Al-Qurayyat, Kilo 13, and Petromin. Entry and exit to these areas are forbidden. Residents can only leave their homes for health care and food needs during the period from 6:00 am to 3:00pm.

Meanwhile, King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) has announced an open application period for its new research grant program to support the Kingdom’s scientific efforts during the coronavirus crisis.

The fast-track program to support research into the coronavirus is aimed at providing support to institutions to develop detection and monitoring mechanisms in an accurate, fast and economical manner.

Dr. Abdul Aziz Al-Malik, executive director for the Life Science and Environment Research Institute at KACST, told a press conference on Saturday that the grant would provide direct financial support to scientists in research centers and universities around the country.

“The program will focus on developing diagnostic and serological tests for the virus and support epidemiological surveys, artificial intelligence systems and active genetic surveillance for the new virus,” Al-Malik said.

“KACST will also allow the grant awardees to use its laboratories around the country whenever they need it,” he said.

Al-Malik is inviting researchers interested in COVID-19-related work to submit their proposals at the portal (https://covid19.kacst.edu.sa/grants/) between April 4 to 20. Winners will be announced ten days after the deadline.

The initiative was launched in partnership with the Ministry of Health, the Saudi Health Council and the Saudi Center for Disease Prevention and Control.

Meanwhile, the Saudi Health Ministry has announced 140 new COVID-19 cases, two of which are related to travel, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 2,179 with 1,730 of them still active cases.

While the number of recoveries increased to 420, four new deaths were announced, three of whom were non-Saudis, increasing total deaths to 29.

During the department’s daily conference, Health Ministry spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly clarified that the bodies of those who died of COVID-19 were bathed and shrouded according to Islamic tradition by trained health practitioners or under the ministry’s supervision to ensure everybody’s safety.

“Their dignity is maintained from the moment they pass away until burial . . . after completing all these procedures (bathing and shrouding) under our supervision, the body no longer carries the infection.”

The ministry advises people to get their information from official sources and has dedicated a web page for updates about disease numbers in the Kingdom (covid19.moh.gov.sa).