Saudi housing projects need SR 500 billion by 2020

Updated 18 November 2012

Saudi housing projects need SR 500 billion by 2020

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia is facing a huge housing shortage as demand continues to outstrip supply requiring SR 500 billion in financing to construct 1.25 million houses by 2014. Total real estate financing is also forecast to reach SR 60 billion by 2013, as a result of growth in total real estate lending by SR 17 billion in the second quarter of this year alone, leading experts to comment that the implementation of the Kingdom's newly approved mortgage law may be a prime solution to the housing crisis.
"With the landmark approval of the Saudi mortgage law in July, the Kingdom's population quadrupling over the last four decades, requiring 4.6 million houses by 2020, I expect that the mortgage law will have a moderating effect on the Saudi real estate market over the short-to-medium-term, allowing up to 80 percent of Saudi citizens to become first-time homeowners," said Hasan Al-Yamani, director at Abdul Latif Jameel (ALJ) Real Estate Installments at the Riyadh Urban Development and Real Estate Investment Event 2012.
He further stated that due to the rapid increase of real estate prices in recent years, particularly within the major cities, both Saudis and non-Saudi residents are in urgent need of financing in order to own property. This is why Abdul Latif Jameel Company has introduced real estate financing for both Saudis and residents in order for them to be able to own their desired homes through a trustworthy and Shariah-compliant company, while offering peace of mind to its customers.
Customers can now enter into a lease agreement with ALJ Real Estate Installment Co. with the promise of ownership at the end of the agreed term, which can be up to 15 years.
In response to the housing crisis, the Saudi government has taken a resolute approach in investing in the housing sector through the implementation of the newly established Ministry of Housing and the allocation of SR 250 million ($ 67 billion) to build an initial 500,000 new housing units.


China suspends planned tariffs on some US goods

Updated 15 December 2019

China suspends planned tariffs on some US goods

  • Chinese tariffs were supposed to target goods ranging from corn and wheat to vehicles and auto parts
  • Beijing agreed to import at least $200 billion in additional US goods and services over the next 2 years

SHANGHAI: China has suspended additional tariffs on some US goods that were meant to be implemented on Dec. 15, the State Council’s customs tariff commission said on Sunday, after the world’s two largest economies agreed a “phase one” trade deal on Friday.
The deal, rumors and leaks over which have gyrated world markets for months, reduces some US tariffs in exchange for what US officials said would be a big jump in Chinese purchases of American farm products and other goods.
China’s retaliatory tariffs, which were due to take effect on Dec. 15, were meant to target goods ranging from corn and wheat to US made vehicles and auto parts.
Other Chinese tariffs that had already been implemented on US goods would be left in place, the commission said in a statement issued on the websites of government departments including China’s finance ministry. “China hopes, on the basis of equality and mutual respect, to work with the United States, to properly resolve each other’s core concerns and promote the stable development of US-China economic and trade relations,” it added.
Beijing has agreed to import at least $200 billion in additional US goods and services over the next two years on top of the amount it purchased in 2017, the top US trade negotiator said Friday.
A statement issued by the United States Trade Representative also on Friday said the United States would leave in place 25% tariffs on $250 billion worth of Chinese goods.