Saudi Cancer Society launches ‘Pink Fingerprints’ awareness campaign

A post-graduate student working in cancer research laboratories at the Old Road Campus research building at Oxford University, in Oxford, Britain May 11, 2016. (Reuters)
Updated 02 October 2018

Saudi Cancer Society launches ‘Pink Fingerprints’ awareness campaign

  • The “Pink Fingerprints” campaign is being launched for a 12th consecutive year.
  • The campaign will be running during the whole month of October

RIYADH: The Saudi Cancer Society launched an awareness campaign on Monday to combat breast cancer under the name “Pink Fingerprints,” and through the Abdul Latif Jameel Center for Breast Cancer Early Detection.
The campaign will be running during the whole month of October, and is aiming to increase the rates of early screening to help improve recovery rates.
The society’s chairman, Dr. Mohammed bin Ahmed Al-Kanhal, said that the Abdul Latif Jameel Center will be implementing the campaign to be broader in the bid to spread awareness of this disease.
He added that the “Pink Fingerprints” campaign is being launched for a 12th consecutive year.
He also mentioned that many programs and events will be implemented in cooperation with several health centers, hospitals and universities, which will be taking advantage of the latest tools for early detection, mobile clinics supplied with latest equipment and medical standards.
The mobile clinics will tour different parts of the Kingdom to reach the highest number of people in their homes.
He also referred to an interactive awareness event for the campaign to be held mid-October at the Kingdom’s Commercial Center for two weeks. All participants in the campaign will be able to stamp their fingerprints on a wall to mark their involvement.
In addition to providing a space dedicated for clinical examination for visitors who wish to do so, there will also be an educational corner on self-examination.


Diriyah Gate to be a global, historical and cultural landmark

Updated 22 November 2019

Diriyah Gate to be a global, historical and cultural landmark

  • Diriyah is home to Al-Turaif District, built in 1744 and known as one of the largest clay cities in the world

DIRIYAH: With the establishment of the Diriyah Gate Development Authority (DGDA), the historical site of Diriyah will become one of the largest and most important international destinations.

The DGDA seeks to transform the site into a location to host activities and events aimed at exchanging historical and cultural knowledge through museums and venues spread throughout
Al-Turaif District.

 The DGDA aims to celebrate the people of Diriyah by telling their stories and demonstrating their social, cultural and historical the roots, as the cradle of the first Saudi state and a symbol of the beauty of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and
its people.

 Diriyah is home to Al-Turaif District, built in 1744 and known as one of the largest clay cities in the world. It was registered by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 2010 — one of five Saudi sites listed.

Not far from Al-Turaif District is the historic Al-Bujairi District, which was a center for spreading science and knowledge during the prosperity of Diriyah, as the capital of the first Saudi state. 

Today it houses many commercial centers and cafes and is the perfect destination to experience Saudi cuisine.

One of the historical landmarks in Al-Turaif District is Salwa Palace, which is located in the northeastern part. It is the largest of its landmarks and spans over 10,000 square meters. It was founded by Imam Abdul Aziz bin Mohammed bin Saud in 1765, and is historically known as the home of the first royal family. 

The palace houses the Diriyah Museum, which presents the history and development of the first Saudi state through works of art, drawings, models and documentaries.

BACKGROUND

At the northern end of old Diriyah, the town of Ghusaybah sits atop of a plateau surrounded by the Hanifa Valley on three sides.

Salwa Palace forms an integrated architectural system with its residential, administrative, cultural and religious units.

 Al-Turaif District also includes the Imam Muhammad bin Saud Mosque, known as the Great Mosque or Al-Turaif Mosque. It is adjacent to Salwa Palace on the north side, and Imams used to lead Friday prayers there.

 To make movement between the mosque and the palace easier, Imam Saud bin Abdul Aziz built a bridge to connect them on the upper floor. The mosque houses a religious school to teach religious sciences. It was formerly the largest mosque in the Arabian Peninsula and was built to symbolize the strength and unity of the Saudi state.

 At the northern end of old Diriyah, the town of Ghusaybah sits atop of a plateau surrounded by the Hanifa Valley on three sides. It was settled by Mani’ Al-Muraydi, the oldest ancestor of the House of Saud, in the 15th century. 

Ghusaybah is a well-established location, carefully chosen for the establishment of the new governorate, and its location played a major role in the protection of Hajj convoys and trade passing through its areas of influence in Al-Arid region.

 Ghusaybah was the seat of an independent governorate before the founding of the first Saudi state. It provided protection for the northern gate of Diriyah during the campaign of Ibrahim Pasha in 1818.

 Samhan is one of the historical areas south of Ghusaybeh on a triangle overlooking the valley when it meets another tributary, the villages of Omran. It directly overlooks the districts of Qusayrin, Mrayih, and Al-Turaif. This location was important during the reign of Imam Mohammed bin Saud and his son Samhan, being a well-fortified site during the siege of Diriyah. It was selected by Imam Abdullah to be his defense headquarters.

 In the field of philanthropy, one may mention “Sabala Moudhi” which was founded by Imam Abdul Aziz bin Mohammed bin Saud, who made it a charitable endowment in the name of his mother, Moudhi bint Sultan bin Abi Wahtan, wife of Imam Mohammed bin Saud. 

It is located east of the Salwa Palace on the southeast of Al-Turaif District. It is a two-story building and was established to provide free accommodation for visitors coming to the city of Diriyah.