Riyadh Future Investment Initiative summit on schedule for next week

The Future Investment Initiative will be held in Riyadh from Oct. 23 to 25. (Future Investment Initiative website)
Updated 22 October 2018

Riyadh Future Investment Initiative summit on schedule for next week

  • Future Investment Initiative to go ahead despite ‘disappointing’ withdrawals.
  • It will be held in Riyadh from Oct. 23 to 25.

RIYADH: Officials and business leaders including US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde and JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon are set to attend an investment summit in Saudi Arabia next week.
The Future Investment Initiative (FII) is going ahead despite the “disappointing” withdrawal of some speakers and partners.
It will be held in Riyadh from Oct. 23 to 25.
“Despite the disappointing withdrawal of some speakers and partners, we look forward to welcoming thousands of speakers, session managers and guests from around the world,” an FII spokesman said in a statement quoted by Asharq Al-Awsat.
An earlier statement gave an overview of the event, saying that “investing in transformation,” “technology as opportunity” and “advancing human potential” are among the FII’s broad themes.
Mohammed Khunaizi, a Shoura Council member, said that government and business leaders will map out a “collective vision for future” at the event.
“The FII conference has emerged as the largest investment event of its kind in the Middle East, which offers opportunities for billions of dollars in business deals besides being an educative forum,” he said.
JPMorgan chief Dimon has been quoted in media reports as saying: “I am looking forward to attending the Future Investment Initiative in Riyadh to discuss innovation in technology and what it means to all of us.”
Sami A. Al-Rajhi, a Saudi business executive, said: “The FII seeks to further explore how investment will drive growth opportunities regionally and globally.
“The event will help to bring many business opportunities to the country in particular and to the Middle East in general, which will support job creation, innovation and unlock economic opportunities.”


UK suffers biggest job losses since 2009 as coronavirus takes toll

Updated 11 August 2020

UK suffers biggest job losses since 2009 as coronavirus takes toll

  • Mounting job losses are expected as Britain winds down its job retention scheme which protects employees

LONDON: The number of people in work in Britain fell by the most since 2009 in the three months through June as the coronavirus crisis took a heavy toll on the labor market, even with the government’s huge jobs protection scheme still in place.
Led by a record plunge in self-employed workers, there were 220,000 less people employed in the second quarter, the Office for National Statistics said.
Separate tax data for July showed that the number of staff on company payrolls had fallen by 730,000 since March, sounding the alarm about a potentially much bigger rise in joblessness.
Mounting job losses are expected as Britain winds down its job retention scheme which protects employees. It is due to close at the end of October.
“The cracks evident in the latest batch of labor market data are likely to soon turn into a chasm,” said Ruth Gregory, senior economist at Capital Economics.
British finance minister Rishi Sunak said the figures showed the government’s support programs were working but job losses were inevitable.
“I’ve always been clear that we can’t protect every job, but ... we have a clear plan to protect, support and create jobs to ensure that nobody is left without hope,” he said.
The unemployment rate unexpectedly held at 3.9 percent but that reflected an increase in people who had given up looking for work and who were therefore not considered to be unemployed, and people who said they were in work but were getting no pay.
Economists polled by Reuters had expected the unemployment rate to rise to 4.2 percent. Last week the Bank of England forecast the jobless rate would hit 7.5 percent at the end of this year.
“Government needs to step in and help those who are likely to lose their job retrain for new openings in different sectors,” KPMG economist Yael Selfin said.
The number of self-employed people fell by a record amount in the three months to June, led by older workers, while the number of employees rose — something the ONS said was partly accounted for by workers reclassifying themselves as employed.
The number of people claiming universal credit — a benefit for the unemployed and those on low pay — rose to 2.689 million in July, leaping by 117 percent from March.
Pay fell by the most in more than 10 years in the April-June period, down 1.2 percent, reflecting how workers on the job retention scheme receive 80 percent of their pay. Excluding bonuses, pay fell for the first time since records began in 2001.
However, there was a small increase in job vacancies in the three months to July.
“The increase was driven by small businesses (less than 50 employees), some of which reported taking on staff to meet coronavirus (COVID-19) guidelines,” the ONS said.