More than 3.24 million held for residency, labor violations in Saudi Arabia

Immediate penalties were imposed against illegals. (SPA)
Updated 03 June 2019
0

More than 3.24 million held for residency, labor violations in Saudi Arabia

  • The total number of violators being subjected to procedures is 12,440, including 10,661 men and 1,779 women

RIYADH: More than 3.24 million violators of residency, work and border security systems have been arrested in a year-long roundup, according to an official report.
Since the joint field security campaign began in November 2017, there have been 3,245,652 offenders, including 2,530,232 for violating residency regulations, 500,454 for labor violations and 214,966 for border violations, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Sunday.
The report said that 54,496 people were arrested while trying to cross the border into the Kingdom, 49 percent of whom were Yemeni citizens, 48 percent were Ethiopians and 3 percent were of other nationalities.
2,391 people were arrested for trying to cross the border into neighboring countries and 3,879 were arrested for involvement in transporting and harboring those violators.
1,323 Saudi citizens were arrested for harboring the violators against local laws, of which 39 are being detained, pending the completion of procedures.
The total number of violators being subjected to procedures is 12,440, including 10,661 men and 1,779 women.
Immediate penalties were imposed against 470,569 offenders; 429,813 were transferred to their respective diplomatic missions to obtain travel documents; 545,074 were transferred to complete their travel reservations; and 813,655 were deported.


Pompeo meets with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for talks on Aramco attacks

Updated 9 min 16 sec ago

Pompeo meets with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for talks on Aramco attacks

  • Pompeo described the drone and cruise missile strikes on Saturday as an 'Iranian attack'
  • Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf. 

JEDDAH: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Wednesday described strikes on key Saudi oil installations as an “act of war” as he landed in Jeddah to meet with Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Pompeo described the drone and cruise missile strikes on Saturday as an “Iranian attack”.

He said it had not come from Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militants and that there was no evidence the attacks had been launched from Iraq.

"This is an attack of a scale we've just not seen before," he added.

Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf.

Pompeo's visit comes as President Donald Trump said on Wednesday there were many options short of war with Iran after Saudi Arabia's display of remnants of drones and missiles it said were used in the I that was "unquestionably sponsored" by Tehran.

"There are many options. There's the ultimate option and there are options that are a lot less than that. And we'll see," Trump told reporters in Los Angeles. "I'm saying the ultimate option meaning go in — war."

Trump, who earlier said on Twitter that he had ordered the US Treasury to "substantially increase" sanctions on Iran, told reporters the unspecified, punitive economic measures would be unveiled within 48 hours.

Trump's tweet followed repeated US assertions that the Islamic Republic was behind Saturday's attack on Aramco facilities and came hours after Saudi Arabia said the strike was a "test of global will."

Earlier on Wednesday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he had spoken with US President Donald Trump about the Aramco attack, and agreed that Iran must not be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon.

Also on Wednesday, Kuwait's army released a statement announcing it was raising its preparedness level for some units, given the tensions in the Middle East region.