Iraq rejects Israeli role in Gulf flotilla

Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohammed Ali Al-Hakim. (Reuters/File)
Updated 12 August 2019

Iraq rejects Israeli role in Gulf flotilla

  • Tensions have escalated in past months, with drones downed and tankers mysteriously attacked in Gulf and nearby waters

BAGHDAD: Iraq rejects any Israeli participation in a naval force to protect shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, at the heart of tensions with Iran, Foreign Minister Mohammed Ali Al-Hakim said on Monday.

Tensions have escalated in past months, with drones downed and tankers mysteriously attacked in Gulf and nearby waters.

Washington and its Arab allies in the Gulf region have accused the Islamic republic of carrying out the tanker attacks. The US has since sought to assemble an international coalition it says is to guarantee freedom of navigation in the Gulf.

Israel has made no official announcement on the operation, although Israeli media have reported a possible role for the Jewish state. Iraq “rejects any participation of forces of the Zionist entity in any military force to secure passage of ships in the Arabian Gulf,” Hakim said on Twitter. “Together, the Gulf states can secure the passage of ships,” he said.

He added that “Iraq will work to lower tensions in our region through calm negotiations,” while “the presence of Western forces in the region would raise tensions.”

Tehran and Washington have been at loggerheads since President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from a nuclear accord between Iran and world powers in May 2018, reimposing biting sanctions.

If the coalition is formed, each country would provide a military escort for its commercial ships through the Gulf with the support of the US military, which would carry out aerial surveillance and command operations. 

The UK has said it will take part, but other European countries have so far kept out, fearing it might harm efforts to reach a negotiated settlement with Iran.

Iran’s Defense Minister Amir Hatami said on Thursday any Israeli involvement could have “disastrous consequences” for the region and the formation of a US-led flotilla in the Gulf would increase insecurity.


Houthi ballistic missile injures civilian in Yemen’s Marib

Updated 5 min 7 sec ago

Houthi ballistic missile injures civilian in Yemen’s Marib

  • The missile was launched on July 8 out of Yemen
  • The attack is a clear violation of international humanitarian rights

DUBAI: A Houthi ballistic missile injured several civilian in Yemen’s Marib city, Yemen’s state news agency Saba New reported.

The missile was launched on July 8 out of Yemen, Saudi-led Arab coalition’s spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said.

The attack is a clear violation of international humanitarian rights and the coalition will continue taking all necessary steps to reduce the capabilities of the militia, he added.

A day before the attack, a Yemeni military court in Marib held the initial session of the trial of Iran-backed Houthi leaders on Tuesday, accused of masterminding the coup against the internationally recognized government of President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi in 2015 and the subsequent military campaign.

The defendants faced charges of forming a terrorist armed group called Ansar Allah, colluding with the Lebanese group Hezbollah and Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, revolting against the republican system, putting Masur Hadi under house arrest and trying to kill him.