Saudi Arabia and UAE condemn ‘Turkish aggression’ in Syria

Smoke rises from the Syrian town of Tal Abyad after Turkish bombings, as part of an offensive against Kurdish fighters launched Monday. (AFP)
Updated 10 October 2019

Saudi Arabia and UAE condemn ‘Turkish aggression’ in Syria

  • The Kingdom’s foreign ministry says the operation is a ‘threat to regional security’
  • Lebanon describes offensive as ‘an aggression against a sister Arab state’

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia condemned the Turkish offensive against Kurdish forces in northern Syria Monday, describing it as “military aggression”.

The Kingdom’s foreign ministry said the operation is a “threat to regional security” and undermines international efforts in combating Daesh.

The attack was a “blatant violation of the unity, independence, and sovereignty of Syrian territories,” the ministry said.

Saudi Arabia’s comments came amid a wave of international condemnation over Turkey’s actions. The military operation aimed at crushing Kurdish fighters in northern Syria started on Monday afternoon with airstrikes and artillery. Later in the evening, ground forces moved across the border.

Opinion

This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)

The attack comes after US troops pulled back from the area, paving the way for an assault on forces that have long been allied with the United States.

The UAE also condemned the offensive, saying it represented a dangerous development and a blatant and unacceptable aggression against the sovereignty of an Arab state.

The Bahrain foreign ministry also condemned the Turkish offensive, saying it supports the call for an emergency meeting of the Arab League Council to take a unified Arab stand toward the aggression.

The Lebanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs also condemned the Turkish offensive as “an aggression against a sister Arab state and the occupation of the land of Syria exposes its people to death and displacement.”

The ministry called on the Turkish leadership “to reconsider its decision and urged it to work with the countries concerned to restore stability in Syria and implement international resolutions with emphasis on the unity of the Syrian land and people.”


Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

More than 41,361 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been conducted in the past 24 hours. (SPA)
Updated 04 August 2020

Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

  • COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia continue to fall, officials say

JEDDAH: Pilgrims who took part in this year’s Hajj must continue wearing electronic tags so authorities can track their 14-day quarantine once they return home.

The bracelet is designed to monitor pilgrims’ adherence to quarantine, as well as monitoring and recording their health status through the “Tatamman” app.
Pilgrims were required to quarantine before embarking on the Hajj and wore the bracelets to ensure they were obeying the self-isolation rules as part of strict measures to contain the spread of coronavirus.
The country continues to experience a decline in COVID-19 cases. Recorded infections remain below the 2,000 mark for the 10th day in a row. The Kingdom reported 1,258 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, raising the number of those infected to 280,093 so far.
There are currently 35,091 active cases and six patients were admitted to critical care units, raising the number to 2,017. There were 32 new fatalities, raising the death toll to 2,949.
There were 1,972 new recoveries recorded, raising the total number of recoveries to 242,053.
More than 41,361 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been conducted in the past 24 hours. The total number of PCR tests conducted to date exceeds 3.47 million.

INNUMBERS

280,093 COVID-19 cases

242,053 Recoveries

35,091 Active cases

2,949 Total deaths

3.47m PCR tests

The Ministry of Health has been carrying out daily visits to health institutions in order to assess their level of commitment to anti-coronavirus measures, such as ensuring that staff adhere to social distancing, wear masks, and adopt the health practices and crisis management mechanisms recommended by authorities to protect patients and staff.
Teams have been dispatched to supervise the compliance of health facilities’ quarantine centers across Saudi Arabia and stepped up their visits to government and private hospitals to ensure their compliance with health protocols, sample transfers and staff testing as well as ensuring that all routine surgeries are stopped.
More than 5,000 violations have been recorded and violators were referred to committees. More than 150 facilities were temporarily shut down by the ministry until the proper protocols were implemented and the violations were fixed. A number of institutions were able to resume operations after settling fines.