Afghanistan suffers record 4,300 civilian casualties in three months — UN

In this photo taken on October 13, 2019, an Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) personnel sits in the back of a vehicle as he patrols during a military operation in Guzara district in Herat province. (AFP)
Updated 17 October 2019

Afghanistan suffers record 4,300 civilian casualties in three months — UN

  • The tally was up 42 percent from the same period last year
  • That made it the bloodiest period in the world’s longest-running war since UNAMA began collecting like-for-like figures in 2009

KABUL: A record 4,313 civilians were injured or killed in Afghanistan’s war against the Islamist Taliban between July and September, the United Nations said on Thursday.
The tally was up 42 percent from the same period last year — in a war that ebbs and flows with the seasonal weather — and included more than a thousand deaths, according to data from the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA).
That made it the bloodiest period in the world’s longest-running war since UNAMA began collecting like-for-like figures in 2009. It brought the total of casualties for the first nine months of 2019 to over 8,000.
“Civilian casualties at record-high levels clearly show the need for all parties concerned to pay much more attention to protecting the civilian population, including through a review of conduct during combat operations,” said Tadamichi Yamamoto, one of the UN’s top officials in Afghanistan.
Taliban insurgents fighting the US-backed Kabul government control more of Afghanistan than at any time since being ousted from power nearly two decades ago.
They have stepped up a campaign of suicide bombings in recent years as Washington tries to pull its forces out.
Around 62 percent of casualties were caused by what UNAMA called “anti-government elements,” though casualties caused by pro-government forces also rose 26 percent.
UNAMA said on Tuesday that 85 civilians had been killed and more than 370 wounded in violence linked to last month’s election.
The two presidential front-runners have both already claimed victory despite the count being delayed.


Egypt reports first decline in new coronavirus cases for a week

Updated 7 min 6 sec ago

Egypt reports first decline in new coronavirus cases for a week

  • Egypt confirmed 1,399 new cases of the novel coronavirus

CAIRO: Egypt confirmed 1,399 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Monday, the health ministry said, its first decline for a week.
That is down from 1,536 reported the day before, but still almost double the number on the same day a week ago.
Egypt has reported a total of 26,384 cases, of which 6,297 have recovered and 1,005 died, the ministry said.