Iran starts intercity travel ban amid fears of second wave of coronavirus

Iranian Revolutionary Guard members disinfect cars to help prevent the spread of the new coronavirus in downtown Tehran on Wednesday, March 25, 2020. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 26 March 2020

Iran starts intercity travel ban amid fears of second wave of coronavirus

  • Iran’s government spokesman said the country might face a second outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic
  • Escalating outbreak in Iran has killed 2,077 people so far and has infected 27,017

DUBAI: Iran started an intercity travel ban on Thursday, an Iranian official said in a televised news conference, amid fears of a second wave of coronavirus infections in the Middle East’s worst-hit country.
Iran’s government spokesman on Wednesday said the country might face a second outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.
Officials have complained that many Iranians ignored appeals to stay at home and cancel travel plans for the Persian New Year holidays that began on March 20.
“Those who have traveled for the Iranian New Year holidays should immediately return to their cities without making any stop in the cities on their way back home,” said Hossein Zolfaghari, a member of Iran’s national headquarters for fighting the coronavirus.
The escalating outbreak in Iran has killed 2,077 people so far and has infected 27,017.
The authorities have called on Iranians to avoid public places and stay at home, while schools, universities, cultural and sports centers have been temporarily closed across the country.
“The closure of universities and schools as well as suspension of gatherings has been extended,” Zolfaghari said, adding that violators of the measures will face legal consequences.


Bahrain to spend $570m on private sector salaries

Updated 08 April 2020

Bahrain to spend $570m on private sector salaries

  • Bahrain's government will spend $570 million on paying salaries to all 100,000 of its citizens employed in the private sector from April to June

DUBAI: Bahrain’s government will spend $570 million in salaries for 100,000 private sector workers from April to June to help with the impact of the coronavirus outbreak, the labor ministry said on Wednesday.
The government will also pay electricity and water bills for all Bahraini citizens and businesses and will extend some tax breaks on properties and tourism, it said in a statement.
The initiative is part of a $11 billion stimulus package announced by the government for the private sector to mitigate the impact on the economy from the outbreak.