DUBAI: Kuwait recorded on Saturday its first death from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, state news agency KUNA reported, citing a Health Ministry spokesman.
The total number of people diagnosed with the disease increased by 62 in the past 24 hours to 479 cases, he said, according to KUNA.
Kuwait and Oman are the Gulf countries that are least affected by the pandemic. Oman had reported 277 cases and one death up until Saturday while Qatar last updated its official COVID-19 page on Friday, reporting 1,075 cases and three deaths.
Dubai announced a two-week lockdown starting on Saturday at 8 p.m. to disinfect the emirate and contain the spread of the coronavirus, state news agency WAM said, the citing Supreme Committee of Crisis and Disaster Management.
Dubai warned that mobility would be restricted and legal action taken against violators, WAM said, adding that supermarkets and pharmacies as well as food and drug delivery services would continue to operate as normal.
The UAE also extended a de facto overnight curfew indefinitely to disinfect public areas to fight the spread of the virus.
The UAE’s disinfection drive, which consists of spraying streets, parks and public transport facilities, runs from 8 p.m. (1600 GMT) to 6 a.m. and people must stay at home during those hours, state-run news agency WAM said late on Friday.
The curfew came in on March 26 and was extended last week until April 5.
“The Ministry of Health Prevention and the Ministry of Interior have announced the continuation of the National Disinfection Programme,” WAM said, without saying when the operation would end.
The federation has reported an uptick in coronavirus cases with several hundred people diagnosed since April 1. The UAE recommends that people wear masks when leaving home, a Health Ministry spokeswoman told a news conference broadcast on TV.