Britain's Princess Eugenie and husband pick a name for their baby son

Britain's Princess Eugenie and husband pick a name for their baby son
Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank have named their baby boy August Philip Hawke Brooksbank. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 20 February 2021

Britain's Princess Eugenie and husband pick a name for their baby son

Britain's Princess Eugenie and husband pick a name for their baby son
  • The baby — a ninth great-grandchild for Queen Elizabeth II — was born Feb. 9 at London’s Portland Hospital
  • Eugenie, 30, is the younger daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah, Duchess of York and a granddaughter of the queen

LONDON: Britain’s Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank have named their baby boy August Philip Hawke Brooksbank, Buckingham Palace said Saturday.
The baby — a ninth great-grandchild for Queen Elizabeth II — was born Feb. 9 at London’s Portland Hospital.
Eugenie, 30, is the younger daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah, Duchess of York and a granddaughter of the queen. The baby, who weighed 8 pounds, 1 ounce, is her first child and is 11th in line to the British throne.
Eugenie said on Instagram that the baby is named after his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria, who had Augustus as a middle name.
One of his middle names pays tribute to Eugenie’s grandfather, Prince Philip. The queen’s 99-year-old husband is currently in a London hospital where he was admitted on Tuesday after feeling ill. Hawke is a Brooksbank family name.
The baby is not expected to get a royal title and will be known as Master August Brooksbank.
Eugenie married 35-year-old Brooksbank, a businessman, in October 2018 at St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle.
Eugenie posted a picture on Instagram of the couple holding their son, who is swaddled in a blue blanket with a matching cap.
“Thank you for so many wonderful messages. Our hearts are full of love for this little human, words can’t express,” she wrote, adding that the photo was taken “by our wonderful midwife.”
“Thank you to the wonderful essential workers including our midwife who came to discharge our boy,” she said.
The queen and Prince Philip have two more great-grandchildren on the way. Both Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Princess Anne’s daughter Zoe Tindall are due to give birth this year.
The child of Meghan and her husband Prince Harry will become eighth in line to the throne after elder brother Archie, and will push baby August down to 12th in the line of succession.
Harry and Meghan gave up official royal duties last year and moved to California. On Friday the palace announced that the split will be final, with the couple giving up military and charitable patronages they held on behalf of the queen.


Meghan says British royals refused to make her son a prince because his dark skin

Meghan says British royals refused to make her son a prince because his dark skin
Updated 24 min 54 sec ago

Meghan says British royals refused to make her son a prince because his dark skin

Meghan says British royals refused to make her son a prince because his dark skin
  • Harry: my father Prince Charles stopped taking my calls
  • Interview with Oprah Winfrey follows break with royals

LONDON: Meghan, the wife of Prince Harry, said there were concerns about how dark her son Archie’s skin would be before his birth and that such worries explained why he was not given the title of prince.
Meghan, whose mother is Black and father is white, said she was naive before she married into the royal family in 2018, but that she ended up having suicidal thoughts and considering self harm after asking for help but getting none.
“They didn’t want him to be a prince or princess, not knowing what the gender would be, which would be different from protocol, and that he wasn’t going to receive security,” Meghan said in an interview with Oprah Winfrey aired on CBS late on Sunday.
“In those months when I was pregnant, all around this same time, so we have in tandem the conversation of, ‘you won’t be given security, not gonna be given a title’ and also concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.”
She declined to say who had aired such concerns. Asked if she was silent or had been silenced, she replied: “The latter.”
The highly anticipated interview is set to intensify an already acrimonious row between Meghan and Harry on one side and the British monarchy on the other.
The couple have stepped down from their royal duties and are starting a new life in the United States.
Harry said he left because of a lack of understanding and because he was worried about history repeating itself — a reference to the 1997 death of his mother Diana.
He said he had not blindsided his grandmother, the queen, as he had too much respect for her, although his father, Prince Charles, had stopped taking his calls.
“I had three conversations with my grandmother, and two conversations with my father before he stopped taking my calls. And then he said, can you put this all in writing?” Harry said.
Their detractors say the couple want the glamor of their positions without the dedication it requires or scrutiny it brings.
To their supporters, their treatment shows how an outdated British institution has lashed out against a modern, biracial woman, with undertones of racism.

’QUEEN HAS BEEN WONDERFUL’
There have also been allegations of bullying against Meghan which first appeared in The Times newspaper in the buildup to the couple’s appearance.
Buckingham Palace, which has made no comment so far on the interview, said it would investigate the claims, adding it was “very concerned.”
In response to the report, a spokeswoman for Meghan said she was “saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself.”
Meghan told Winfrey that people within the royal institution not only failed to protect her against malicious claims but lied to protect others.
“It was only once we were married and everything started to really worsen that I came to understand that not only was I not being protected but that they were willing to lie to protect other members of the family,” Meghan said.
“There’s the family, and then there’s the people that are running the institution, those are two separate things and it’s important to be able to compartmentalize that because the queen, for example, has always been wonderful to me.”
Meghan denied a newspaper story that she had made Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, cry before the wedding and said it was a turning point in her relations with the media.
“That was a turning point,” Meghan said. Asked if she made Kate cry, Meghan replied: “The reverse happened.”
“A few days before the wedding she (Kate) was upset about something, pertaining to yes the issue was correct about the flower girl dresses, and it made me cry. And it really hurt my feelings.”
Meghan said she had been naive before her wedding and did not realize what she was marrying into when she joined the British royal family.
“I will say I went into it naively, because I didn’t grow up knowing much about the royal family,” Meghan said.


Saudi Ministry to launch fashion promotion’s third phase

Saudi Ministry to launch fashion promotion’s third phase
The exhibit is intended to explore the ways in which Muslim women embrace and express style. (AFP)
Updated 08 March 2021

Saudi Ministry to launch fashion promotion’s third phase

Saudi Ministry to launch fashion promotion’s third phase
  • The ministry aims to attract and encourage talent in the emerging Saudi fashion industry to promote local brands on the local and international levels

RIYADH: The third phase of the Saudi Ministry of Culture’s fashion incubation program will kick off on April 11 in an effort to promote the fashion sector and cultural entrepreneurship in the Kingdom.

Startups wishing to participate in the third phase can register on  https://engage.moc.gov.sa/fashion_bootcamp between March 7 and 15.

For five months, the selected startups will work together with the help and support of experts and specialists to develop their ideas and projects, and qualify them to compete in the market.

The ministry aims to attract and encourage talent in the emerging Saudi fashion industry to promote local brands on the local and international levels. It also seeks to establish an integrated and comprehensive fashion system that relies on exchanging expertise among specialists, young entrepreneurs and startups.

The fashion incubation program is divided into three phases: Fashion Hackathon, Fashion Bootcamp, and Incubator, providing participants with an intensive training and fashion-related concepts.


Elie Saab presents glamorous Fall 2021 ready-to-wear collection

Elie Saab Fall 2021 Couture collection. Supplied
Elie Saab Fall 2021 Couture collection. Supplied
Updated 07 March 2021

Elie Saab presents glamorous Fall 2021 ready-to-wear collection

Elie Saab Fall 2021 Couture collection. Supplied

DUBAI: Lebanese couturier Elie Saab presented his eponymous label’s Fall 2021 ready-to-wear collection on Saturday. 

A celebration of strong women, the over-80-piece offering boasted both daytime and evening options and was punctuated with glamorous, heavily-embellished gowns, pleated maxi skirts, expertly-tailored separates and flared jumpsuits. Some of the looks were paired with bold, over-the-knee leather boots and opera gloves or dangling crystal-embellished earrings.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by ELIE SAAB (@eliesaabworld)

The color palette was largely monochromatic, with bursts of blush pink and lime. Meanwhile, lashings of marabou feathers, tiny sequins, beads and ruffles added an extra dose of glamour. 

With a global pandemic that rendered virtually every red carpet event redundant and prompted many to cancel special occasions like weddings in addition to the Aug. 4 explosion in Beirut, it’s safe to say that 2020 was a difficult year for the Lebanon-born designer. 

“I think that what the Lebanese people have suffered since the fourth of August and onwards is by far worse than war,” Saab told Arab News. “It has been a very difficult time for all of the Lebanese people. I do not know if sometimes the Lebanese forgot about COVID-19 only to come out of the terrible disaster of the 4th.”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by ELIE SAAB (@eliesaabworld)

However, the designer assured Arab News that the couture collection was not severely impacted by this difficult period.

“People were not interested (in couture) and those who had events postponed them,” he said. “But afterwards, the machine started working again all by itself, as it should,” the designer added.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by ELIE SAAB (@eliesaabworld)

“Thankfully, we’re doing very well in couture. We did not feel a difference in numbers

between this year and the previous one,” he shared.

The couturier has been keeping quite busy. He recently debuted Elie Saab Maison, an elegant lineup of furniture, lighting, rugs and home accessories, and only last month he launched  a 28-piece collection of watches comprising stainless steel and diamonds.


Priyanka Chopra teams up with chef behind popular Dubai restaurant

Priyanka Chopra is launching a restaurant called Sona in New York. File/AFP
Priyanka Chopra is launching a restaurant called Sona in New York. File/AFP
Updated 07 March 2021

Priyanka Chopra teams up with chef behind popular Dubai restaurant

Priyanka Chopra is launching a restaurant called Sona in New York. File/AFP

DUBAI: Actress Priyanka Chopra Jonas has teamed up with chef Hari Nayak, the culinary talent behind Dubai’s Masti eatery, to launch an Indian restaurant called Sona in New York, she announced on Instagram on Saturday.

“I’m thrilled to present to you SONA, a new restaurant in NYC that I poured my love for Indian food into. SONA is the very embodiment of timeless India and the flavors I grew up with,” Chopra poste d on Instagram.

“The kitchen is helmed by the incredible Chef @harinayak, a masterful talent, who has created the most delicious and innovative menu, taking you on a food journey through my amazing country. SONA is opening later this month, and I can’t wait to see you there! This endeavor would not have been possible without the leadership of my friends Maneesh Goyal and David Rabin. Thank you to our designer Melissa Bowers and the rest of the team for realizing this vision so clearly,” she added.

The new outlet is a collaboration with restauranteur David Rabin and entrepreneur Maneesh Goyal.

In January, Chopra kickstarted her own hair care line. Named Anomaly, the brand is vegan, eco-friendly and in the affordable price bracket.


Britney Spears’ Mideast-born beau Sam Asghari reveals how the couple met

Britney Spears and Sam Asghari met in 2016. File/AFP
Britney Spears and Sam Asghari met in 2016. File/AFP
Updated 07 March 2021

Britney Spears’ Mideast-born beau Sam Asghari reveals how the couple met

Britney Spears and Sam Asghari met in 2016. File/AFP

DUBAI: In a new interview with Forbes, US-Iranian actor and fitness enthusiast Sam Asghari opened up about the beginnings of his relationship with US popstar Britney Spears.

The 27-year-old met the “Baby, One More Time” singer in 2016 during a music video shoot for “Slumber Party,” but he admitted that he was hesitant about being in the clip.

“I wanted to do TV, I wanted to do film,” he told the publication. “I didn’t want to… be known as a music video actor, but a good friend of mine was working on a project and they referred me to the team that was picking out the leading role for ‘Slumber Party.’”

"My girlfriend now, at the time, personally picked my picture and she wanted me to be cast in the music video," he continued, referring to Spears.