CAIRO: Two Muslim Brotherhood-affiliated presenters - known for their anti-Egyptian rhetoric - have said they are on "open leave" after their politically-fueled shows were axed from television stations Al-Sharq and Mekameleen.
Egyptian journalists, Moataz Matar and Muhammad Nasir, based in Ankara and known to be affiliated with the terrorist-designated Muslim Brotherhood, shared Twitter posts on Saturday that suggested the looming suspension of their shows.
Matar announced Saturday evening that his program “With Moataz” on the Al-Sharq channel had come to an end, saying that he was going to be on open leave.
He also described the move as “one he had never desired.”
Matar added in a statement he recited on the program that the program’s halt came in order “to avoid any embarrassment that might fall on Turkey” in a reference to his continuous criticism of the Egyptian government.
Meanwhile, Nasir said on Twitter that he was also going to be on vacation during Ramadan from his show on Mekameleen channel.
It was reported earlier in March that Turkey demanded both satellite channels - which are affiliated to the Brotherhood - to halt airing political shows critical of Egypt according to sources cited by Al Arabiya TV.
The step came following statements by Turkey aimed at easing tensions with Egypt after eight years of disputes between the two countries.