Dinosaurs adventure will take you back to the cretaceous period

Dinosaurs adventure will take you back to the cretaceous period
The 60-minute interactive theater allows people to touch, watch, learn about and interact with dinosaurs. (Rahaf Jambi)
Short Url
Updated 03 December 2021

Dinosaurs adventure will take you back to the cretaceous period

Dinosaurs adventure will take you back to the cretaceous period
  • Interactive experience leaves visitors wondering if creatures on show might even be real

RIYADH: Riyadh Season’s dinosaur adventure at Riyadh Boulevard will take you on a ride back in time to meet and interact with life-sized dinosaurs.

The 60-minute interactive theater allows people to touch, watch, learn about and interact with dinosaurs.

Through an interactive time machine, visitors travel 67 million years back to the cretaceous period, when dinosaurs roamed the planet.

“When visitors hear about the dinosaur world, they think it’s just a gallery but it’s not. It is an adventure that visitors are a part of. They will interact with our scientists and protection force,” Awadh Almutairi, project manager, told Arab News.

Almutairi highlighted that features a new ride every six minutes, with maximum 35 visitors per ride, with the whole thing starting with a 3D show before visitors head to an underground base.

In the base, visitors get to watch dinosaur eggs hatch, see an autopsy of a dinosaur corpse, engage in dinosaur petting and face trying to run from a tyrannosaurus trying to enter the base.

Almutairi added that a lot of children already know the names of the dinosaurs, with the adventure showcased in Arabic and English for foreigners.

“The turnout of adults was more than that of children at first, and sometimes some of them try the experience again with different friends, which is an experience that is closer to reality. If you can see the dinosaur, the dinosaur can see you too,” Almutairi added. 

He said that some visitors have to ask if the dinosaurs are real or fake. One of the visitors, Abdullah Kayyal, 19, told Arab News that he never experienced something this realistic before.

“I tried something similar in America, but the realism here was so strong that I didn’t feel like it was a screen,” Kayyal commented.

This interactive theater is the second of its kind in the world after the London experience, launched in 2017. The second dinosaur theater was supposed to in Germany, but because of the coronavirus pandemic it was delayed and Riyadh’s opened ahead of it.


Saudi Public Prosecution warns of harsh penalties for spreading rumors

Saudi Public Prosecution warns of harsh penalties for spreading rumors
Updated 18 January 2022

Saudi Public Prosecution warns of harsh penalties for spreading rumors

Saudi Public Prosecution warns of harsh penalties for spreading rumors
  • Anybody caught making false statements about matters ‘related to public order’ face up to five years in jail and a SR3 million fine
  • This includes anyone who spreads false information on social media, especially lies that originate from hostile sources in other countries

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Public Prosecution said on Monday that spreading rumors or lies about any matter “related to public order” is considered a serious crime in the Kingdom and anyone caught doing so faces arrest and tough penalties.
The authority added that in accordance with the Law on Combating Information Crimes and the Law of Criminal Procedures, this includes individuals who promote or participate in spreading false information in any form on social media, especially fabrications that originate from hostile sources in other countries.
The Public Prosecution said that while monitoring accounts on social-networking sites it had found some that were creating or spreading baseless rumors about a Riyadh Season music event that had been postponed. The false information was coordinated and supported by external, hostile parties who were responsible for most of the posts, the authority added.
It added that individuals in the Kingdom who had participated in spreading the rumors had been “summoned” and criminal charges are being brought against them.
“These actions result in heavy penalties of up to five years imprisonment and a fine of SR3 million ($800,000),” the Public Prosecution said. In addition, devices and tools used to commit such crimes will be confiscated, the final ruling is made public and action can be taken against anyone who incited, assisted or agreed to commit the crime, the authority added.
It urged all citizens and residents to obtain information only from official sources and not to engage with rumors on social media. Those who fail to heed the warning risk facing the maximum penalties prescribed by law, it added.


Saudi Arabia, UAE, UK and US to continue joint efforts to support Sudan

Saudi Arabia, UAE, UK and US to continue joint efforts to support Sudan
Updated 18 January 2022

Saudi Arabia, UAE, UK and US to continue joint efforts to support Sudan

Saudi Arabia, UAE, UK and US to continue joint efforts to support Sudan

RIYADH: The Sudanese quartet on Monday affirmed its commitment to continue joint efforts to achieve lasting stability in Sudan, a statement on Saudi Press Agency said.
Representatives of the quartet — Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Britain and the US — held a meeting at the Kingdom’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Riyadh to discuss developments in Sudan.
The quartet also affirmed that it would continue to implement the reform agenda, provide support to Sudan, and support the UN Integrated Transitional Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS).


Saudi and Iraq air forces discuss promoting joint action

Commander of the Royal Saudi Air Force Lt. Gen. Turki bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz meets his Iraqi counterpart Gen. Shihab Jahid Ali. (SPA)
Commander of the Royal Saudi Air Force Lt. Gen. Turki bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz meets his Iraqi counterpart Gen. Shihab Jahid Ali. (SPA)
Updated 18 January 2022

Saudi and Iraq air forces discuss promoting joint action

Commander of the Royal Saudi Air Force Lt. Gen. Turki bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz meets his Iraqi counterpart Gen. Shihab Jahid Ali. (SPA)

RIYADH: Lt. Gen. Turki bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz, the commander of the Royal Saudi Air Force, met with his Iraqi counterpart Gen. Shihab Jahid Ali during his visit to Riyadh.
During the meeting, they discussed issues of interest to the two forces and ways to promote joint action, the Kingdom’s defense ministry said on Monday.
The two sides also exchanged mementos on the occasion.
The Iraqi air force commander is scheduled to visit a number of air force units and the Saqr Aljazeera Aviation Museum during his visit.


Saudi crown prince condemns Houthi attack on UAE in call with Abu Dhabi counterpart

Saudi crown prince condemns Houthi attack on UAE in call with Abu Dhabi counterpart
Updated 18 January 2022

Saudi crown prince condemns Houthi attack on UAE in call with Abu Dhabi counterpart

Saudi crown prince condemns Houthi attack on UAE in call with Abu Dhabi counterpart

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman made a phone call to his Abu Dhabi counterpart Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed, during which he condemned an attack on the UAE by the Iran-backed Houthi militia in Yemen.
The militia attacked the capital Abu Dhabi using missiles and drones, setting off explosions in fuel trucks that killed three people and injured six others and causing a fire near the airport.
And in another incident, eight explosive-laden drones were launched by the Houthis toward Saudi Arabia, all of which were intercepted.
The two leaders affirmed that these terrorist acts that targeted the Kingdom and the UAE would increase both countries’ “resolve and their determination to continue to confront those aggressive practices” carried out by the Houthi militia, who have wreaked havoc in Yemen, killing the Yemeni people and continue its “miserable and unsuccessful attempts to spread chaos” with the aim of destabilizing the region’s security and stability.
The crown princes called on the international community to stand up to these flagrant violations of international law and norms and to reject and condemn these terrorist crimes that threaten regional and international peace and security, a statement on Saudi Press Agency said.
The Saudi crown prince expressed his deepest condolences for the deceased and wished the injured a speedy recovery.
Sheikh Mohammed thanked Prince Mohammed for the sincere sentiments, which confirmed the solid ties and close bond that unite the two countries and peoples and their determination to confront terrorism.
During the call, they also discussed regional affairs and issues of common interest, the statement added.
Also on Monday, Saudi deputy minister for defense Prince Khalid bin Salman said the Houthis’ aggression against the Kingdom and UAE represented a threat to the security of the two countries and the entire region, and showed they were not interested in political solutions to the Yemeni conflict.
He added the militia had chosen an path of escalation and would bear responsibility for tampering with the future of Yemen and for its attacks on neighboring countries.
Prince Khalid urged the international community to stand up to such Houthi transgressions, including its threatening of security of international waterways, and to their regional supporter, Iran, who he said considered the region and its security as negotiating cards.
He also said Iran’s continued support of the militia with weapons and equipment through the ports of Hodeidah and Salif represented a violation of UN resolutions and international laws and norms, and called for an international effort to address it.

Saudi foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan said on Twitter the Houthi militia’s attacks against the Kingdom and UAE today constitute a threat to the region’s security and stability.
The attacks also confirm that this militia has become a major source of threats to regional and international security and stability, he said.
Prince Faisal added that the Kingdom and the Coalition continue to support international efforts to bring peace to Yemen and that the Kingdom’s initiative to find a political solution to the Yemeni crisis is still on the table.
“At the same time, we are fully prepared and ready to deal with the Houthi intransigence, and to defend the security of the Kingdom and our region.” he said.
State minister for foreign affairs Adel Al-Jubeir said that the Houthi militia’s “cowardly terrorist attacks” against the Kingdom and UAE “are an extension of their actions that threaten the security and stability of the region and the international sea lanes.”
Al-Jubeir added  that Saudi Arabia and its Coalition partners have exerted efforts to reach a political solution to the Yemeni crisis, including the Saudi initiative to support the UN efforts, which were faced with the militia’s rejection and intransigence.
“We are continuing these efforts and defending our security and the security of the region and sea shipping lanes, to achieve security and stability in the region and the world.” he said.
The foreign ministry said it would “respond firmly and forcefully” to all terrorist practices carried out by the Iran-backed Houthi militia, which target innocent lives, civilian objects and vital installations on Saudi territory, and threaten regional and international peace and security.
The Kingdom stressed its rejection and condemnation of all aggressive terrorist attacks on its territory and the Emirates.
The Kingdom also said it had presented many political initiatives to reach a comprehensive political solution that would bring together all Yemeni parties, but the Houthi militia continued its intransigence to carry out cowardly attacks on Saudi Arabia and the UAE, target international shipping lanes and disrupt humanitarian aid, in flagrant violation of all international laws and norms.


Visitors swarm Saudi Arabia’s Jazan Honey Festival

Around 3,500 kilograms of honey were sold at last year’s festival with a total value of more than SR2 million. The event aims to support local beekeepers. (SPA)
Around 3,500 kilograms of honey were sold at last year’s festival with a total value of more than SR2 million. The event aims to support local beekeepers. (SPA)
Updated 17 January 2022

Visitors swarm Saudi Arabia’s Jazan Honey Festival

Around 3,500 kilograms of honey were sold at last year’s festival with a total value of more than SR2 million. The event aims to support local beekeepers. (SPA)
  • Event showcases the region’s tourism, economic, and investment components

JEDDAH: The seventh Jazan Honey Festival is attracting more fans in the region’s Edabi governorate, where the event is held annually.

The festival was recently launched by Jazan Gov. Prince Mohammed bin Nasser bin Abdulaziz. He was briefed upon his arrival about the festival’s activities and the accompanying events.
Local resident Dr. Mohammed Al-Ghazwani said the festival sought to introduce and showcase the region’s various agricultural, tourism, economic, and investment components, including honey.
He added that the festival, where 50 beekeepers were displaying various types of first-class natural honey, also aimed to support local beekeepers and that it had helped apiarists to invest in the region’s fertile environment to produce commercial quantities.
“The festival also helps Jazan’s honey farmers to develop packaging methods for their honey products, in light of the support and care given by the wise leadership aiming to develop the country and serve citizens and improve their well-being,” Al-Ghazwani said in a speech on behalf of locals. “Over 700 kilograms of honey have so far been sold over the last three days of the festival, worth more than SR250,000 (around $67,000).”
Around 3,500 kilograms of honey were sold at last year’s festival with a total value of more than SR2 million.

HIGHLIGHT

The festival was recently launched by Jazan Gov. Prince Mohammed bin Nasser bin Abdulaziz. He was briefed upon his arrival about the festival’s activities and the accompanying events.

A local visitor to the festival, Mohammed Hassan Hakami, told Arab News that the region could produce different types of honey including sidr, which was a well-liked and popular variety in the Kingdom.
“In the region, we also have other honey types, such as Al-Qatad, Al-Majra, Al-Samrah, and Al-Shawkah. We also have different types of fine beeswax,” Hakami said.
He bought 2 kilograms of sidr tree honey and expressed his confidence that the festival’s organizers would not allow low-quality honey to be put on sale.
Honeybee expert Faiz Al-Quthami said that Salam honey could not be produced anywhere else but Jazan.
“Jazan is the best region for producing bees, honey, and beeswax. The region also has mangrove honey, which is higher in medicinal and nutritional value than any other type of honey. However, many beekeepers pay less attention to this type of honey,” he said.
Al-Quthami said that some types of honey were more expensive than others simply because of the shortage of the produced quantities.
He said that Majra honey, for example, was produced in small batches due to its short season but that this factor justified its high prices when compared to those of sidr tree honey.
“Sidr honey is very popular in Saudi Arabia for its fine quality, availability, and reasonable price. Based on scientific research and studies, however, Al-Samar honey is the second-best honey after that of the mangrove shrubs.”