Saudi Arabia to host its first rally event for women drivers

Saudi Arabia to host its first rally event for women drivers
Prince Khalid bin Sultan Al-Abdullah Al-Faisal, chairman of SAMF, fifth left, with Abdul Latif Jameel senior executives at the launch of Rally Jameel on Monday night. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 28 December 2021

Saudi Arabia to host its first rally event for women drivers

Saudi Arabia to host its first rally event for women drivers
  • Rally Jameel will take place from March 17 to 19, with the race starting from Hail and ending in Riyadh

JEDDAH: Rally Jameel, the first-ever navigation rally for women drivers in Saudi Arabia, will take place between March 17 and 19, organizers announced on Monday.

The event, which is in line with the aims of the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 development and diversification program relating to the empowerment of women, was launched at Abdul Latif Jameel Motors, the authorized Toyota distributor in Saudi Arabia.

Munir Khoja, the company’s managing director of marketing communication, said: “We are proud today to launch Rally Jameel, which will set new benchmarks for women’s motor sports in the Kingdom. Abdul Latif Jameel Motors has historically been a pioneer in supporting and adopting many prominent motor sports events under the umbrella of the Saudi Automobile and Motorcycle Federation, led by (its chairman) HRH Prince Khalid bin Sultan Al-Abdullah Al-Faisal.” Prince Khalid was also present at the launch.

“In the past few years,” Khoja continued, “we witnessed the launch of the Saudi Toyota Desert Rally Championship and the Hail International Rally, and we will continue to see more rallies spring up in the coming years.

“By organizing Rally Jameel we aim to achieve our higher national goals, as the event will draw the attention of motor sports enthusiasts across the globe to our cities that will host this rally — which is a great opportunity for them to see the Kingdom’s cultural and historical dimensions, and its expansive tourism opportunities.”

Former Saudi rally driver Abdullah Bakhashab, the official organizer of Rally Jameel said: “We are delighted to collaborate with Abdul Latif Jameel Motors across all technical aspects for Rally Jameel.

“The 900km rally will be held over three days, starting from Hail and ending in Riyadh, passing through the province of Qassim in the process. Each team will consist of a female driver and an assistant. Participation will be limited to 20 female drivers, who will be nominated by the organizing committee. Registrations will begin from Dec. 27, 2021, via the website www.rallyjameel.com.”

Prince Khalid said that through such initiatives “we would like to inspire our locals and bring them these types of events. We would like to see more women racing in Saudi Arabia.”

Saudi driver Dania Akeel, who recently won the T3 category of the FIA World Cup for Cross-Country Bajas, told Arab News: “I think it is an exciting event and it is a great race for women to prove themselves.”


Elon Musk says he is buying Manchester United

Elon Musk says he is buying Manchester United
Updated 17 August 2022

Elon Musk says he is buying Manchester United

Elon Musk says he is buying Manchester United

Tesla Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said on Tuesday he was buying football club Manchester United Plc.
“I’m buying Manchester United ur welcome,” Musk said in a tweet.
Musk has a history of making irreverent tweets, and it was not immediately clear whether he planned to pursue a deal.
Manchester United, controlled by the American Glazer family, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The football club had a market capitalization of $2.08 billion, as of Tuesday’s close.
Manchester United fans have in recent years protested against the Glazers, who bought the club for 790 million pounds ($955.51 million) in 2005, due to the team’s struggles on the pitch.
The anti-Glazer movement gained momentum last year after United were involved in a failed attempt to form a breakaway European Super League.


Jacobs storms to Euro 100m crown as Ingebrigtsen and Perkovic shine

Jacobs storms to Euro 100m crown as Ingebrigtsen and Perkovic shine
Updated 17 August 2022

Jacobs storms to Euro 100m crown as Ingebrigtsen and Perkovic shine

Jacobs storms to Euro 100m crown as Ingebrigtsen and Perkovic shine
  • In a heady night of track and field at a packed Olympic Stadium, the raucous crowd went wild as unheralded home favorite Gina Lueckenkemper pulled off a shock by winning the women’s blue riband sprint
  • There was also drama in the decathlon as Germany’s Niklas Kaul snatched gold from Swiss rival Simon Ehammer on the back of a monstrous 76.05m in the javelin and a personal best of 4:10.04 in the strength-sapping final 1500m

MUNICH: Olympic champion Marcell Jacobs put an injury-ravaged season behind him to storm to gold in the 100m gold in the European Athletics Championships in Munich on Tuesday.

Jacobs, who was world indoor 60m champion in Belgrade in March, but withdrew before the semifinals of the 100m at last month’s world championships in Oregon, clocked a championship record-equalling time of 9.95 seconds.

Defending champion Zharnel Hughes claimed silver in 9.99sec with another Briton, Jeremiah Azu, taking bronze in 10.13.

“This was a difficult season with problems, with injury,” said the 27-year-old Italian, who has been beset by leg injuries and who competed with a heavily-strapped left calf in Munich.

“My leg is not good and I am not happy about how the race went technically, there were some problems.

“But I am over the moon with the gold medal. After Olympic gold, I’ve now got the European gold. I’ve got to get the world championship gold now.”

In a heady night of track and field at a packed Olympic Stadium, the raucous crowd went wild as unheralded home favorite Gina Lueckenkemper pulled off a shock by winning the women’s blue riband sprint.

The 25-year-old, who won 100m silver in the last European champs in Berlin in 2018 and 200m bronze in 2016, threw herself at the line to clock 10.99sec for a photo-finish victory over Switzerland’s Mujinga Kambundji.

Britain’s Daryll Neita took bronze with 11.00sec, while her teammate, defending champion Dina Asher-Smith, pulled up with injury halfway through the race and finished last.

A trio of proven performers had earlier showed off their prowess in perfect, balmy conditions, retaining their titles in no little style. 

Norway’s Jakob Ingebrigtsen celebrates winning the men’s 5000m final during the European Athletics Championships at the Olympic Stadium in Munich. (AFP)

First up was Norway’s Jakob Ingebrigtsen, who dominated the 5,000m to keep a repeat double bid on track.

The 21-year-old, crowned world champion over the distance at last month’s worlds in Eugene, timed 13min 21.13sec.

“I believe in myself and I believe in the things I have done before. It was amazing here today, it was a great race to be a part of,” said Ingebrigtsen.

“It feels great to be back and win, it is special.”

Greece’s defending long jump champion Miltiadis Tentoglou, the reigning Olympic and world indoor champion who won world silver in Eugene, then set a championship record to retain his Euro title.

The Greek soared out to 8.52m on his fourth attempt, bettering the previous best of 8.47m set by Germany’s Christian Reif in Barcelona in 2010. 

Croatia’s Sandra Perkovic during the women’s discus throw final at the European Athletics Championships. (AFP)

Then came the turn of the doyenne of the women’s discus, Croatia’s Sandra Perkovic.

The 32-year-old Croat left it late, going out to a winning 67.95 meters on her fifth attempt for gold.

It was a record sixth successive European title, the two-time Olympic and world champion having first won the continental competition in Barcelona in 2010.

“I just won my sixth European title here at this beautiful stadium in front of this amazing crowds, so I am so happy and proud tonight,” said Perkovic.

“I knew I was ready to do it and I think the fight was nice.”

There was also drama in the decathlon as Germany’s Niklas Kaul snatched gold from Swiss rival Simon Ehammer on the back of a monstrous 76.05m in the javelin and a personal best of 4:10.04 in the strength-sapping final 1500m.

After also registering 11.16sec in the 100m, 7.10m in the long jump, 14.90m in the shot put, 2.02m in the high jump, 47.87sec in the 400m, 14.45sec in the 110m hurdles and 41.80m in the discus, Kaul was left with 8,545 points.

Ehammer had to be happy with silver, just 77pts behind, while Estonia’s Janek Oiglane claimed bronze (8,346).


Kyrgios overcomes tricky Davidovich Fokina in Cincinnati opener

Kyrgios overcomes tricky Davidovich Fokina in Cincinnati opener
Updated 17 August 2022

Kyrgios overcomes tricky Davidovich Fokina in Cincinnati opener

Kyrgios overcomes tricky Davidovich Fokina in Cincinnati opener
  • The Australian marched through with 29 winners — including 10 aces — and three breaks of the Spaniard’s serve to reach the second round

CINCINNATI: Nick Kyrgios began the last major US Open tune-up with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Alejandro Davidovich Fokina on Tuesday at the ATP/WTA Cincinnati Masters.
The Australian marched through with 29 winners — including 10 aces — and three breaks of the Spaniard’s serve to reach the second round.
The 28th-ranked Kyrgios has won all 11 of his first-round matches this season and won his 22nd match since returning to the ATP in June after skipping the clay season.
He now faces good friend Taylor Fritz after the American crushed Sebastian Baez 6-1, 6-1.
“Physically, I didn’t feel the best, but you have to keep pushing, keep trying,” Kyrgios said.
“Alejandro’s a hell of a player, he’s got a lot of shots at his disposal. I had to serve well and dictate,” the Montreal quarter-finalist aded.
“It was tricky conditions out there, the courts are a lot more lively than Montreal, it was harder to control the ball.”
Kyrgios took 50 minutes to secure the first set, wrapping it up after a break in the penultimate game with back-to-back serve winners.
He went up an early break to start the second set but lost it three games later as the dissatisfied Australian kept up a frustrated gripe session with his three-strong support box as Davidovich Fokina made it 2-2.
Kyrgios struck straight back with a love break to regain control 3-2 and ran out the winner in 91 minutes on his second match point.
It marked a happy return to Cincinnati for Kyrgios, who was fined a record $113,000 during a spectacular meltdown at the tournament in 2019 when he smashed two racquets in the locker room in a loss to Karen Khachanov.
Kyrgios acknowledged his turbulent history at the tournament after Tuesday’s win.
“I’ve played some amazing tennis here and had some crazy outbursts,” he said.
“It’s a flip of the coin as to which Kyrgios shows up here.
“Hopefully this time around it’s just a calm, collected — I just want to have a good week before I continue on the good habits and give myself all the best for preparation for the US Open.
“I have been an emotional kind of tennis player my entire career. Ever since I picked up a racquet, my mum used to watch me throw tantrums and cry on the court and be emotional when I lost.
“That’s just me showing that I do care about the result — I think that’s important.


Juventus newcomer Di Maria sidelined by thigh injury

Juventus newcomer Di Maria sidelined by thigh injury
Updated 16 August 2022

Juventus newcomer Di Maria sidelined by thigh injury

Juventus newcomer Di Maria sidelined by thigh injury
  • Di Maria scored the opening goal in Monday's 3-0 win over Sassuolo in his first game for his new club
  • Juventus said scans showed Di Maria had suffered a "low-grade lesion" to his left thigh

ROME: Argentina winger Angel Di Maria faces a spell on the sidelines after picking up a thigh injury on his Juventus debut, the Serie A club said on Tuesday.
Di Maria scored the opening goal in Monday’s 3-0 win over Sassuolo in his first game for his new club after his move from Paris Saint-Germain.
The 34-year-old also set up Dusan Vlahovic for the second of his two goals but was substituted midway through the second half.
Juventus said scans showed Di Maria had suffered a “low-grade lesion” to his left thigh, adding that the injury would be re-evaluated in 10 days.
He will miss at least the next two league games against Sampdoria and Roma.
Juventus were already without Paul Pogba, who hurt his knee on a pre-season trip to the US after rejoining the Turin club following six years with Manchester United.
The France midfielder is undergoing a course of “conservative therapy” and could return in mid-September.


Drew McIntyre takes on Roman Reigns as WWE returns to the UK after 30 years

Drew McIntyre takes on Roman Reigns as WWE returns to the UK after 30 years
Updated 16 August 2022

Drew McIntyre takes on Roman Reigns as WWE returns to the UK after 30 years

Drew McIntyre takes on Roman Reigns as WWE returns to the UK after 30 years
  • Clash at the Castle set for Principality Stadium in Cardiff on Sept. 3

Drew McIntyre is set for a UK homecoming and the nation’s first major WWE show in more than 30 years when Clash at the Castle takes place at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff on Sept. 3.

With his ambition to make history in Wales, McIntyre will face off in the evening’s headline match against the current Undisputed WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns.

The Scottish Warrior this summer emerged victorious against his former ally, Sheamus, to earn his spot in the ultimate title showdown and stand face-to-face with Reigns, who is The Head of the Table.

Reigns’ unprecedented reign at the top hasn’t been without controversy, as he held back the ferocious attacks of Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam 2022 to survive as the Last Man Standing and firmly maintain his position at the top of the Raw and SmackDown rosters.

The clash in Cardiff represents a new challenge for the champion, as McIntyre will be backed in numbers by a home crowd and all eyes will be on whether Reigns’ 700-day streak will continue.