LONDON: The UN special envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg echoed the Secretary-General's condemnation of recent Houthi attacks on the UAE on Tuesday.
Speaking at a Security Council meeting, Grundberg said that following Houthi attacks on the UAE last month, including a drone attack in Abu Dhabi that killed three people, “it should be obvious to everyone just how high the stakes have become.”
He continued: “The Secretary-General has condemned these attacks and I echo that condemnation.”
He added that Houthi attacks on Saudi Arabia and the UAE “indicate how this conflict risks spiralling out of control unless serious efforts are urgently made by the Yemeni parties, the region, and the international community to end this conflict.”
The Yemen envoy added that ending the war in Yemen is a choice and is possible despite the challenges.
“There is a way out of this war, allowing the war to continue is a choice, and so is ending it,” he told the council.
“We all know that ending it will not be easy, but I firmly believe that it is possible,” he added.
He said that dialogue and compromise are required if Yemenis are not to be left suffering until parties to the war are tired of fighting.
“A political process under UN auspices is our best way forward,” he said.
Grundberg said that he is developing a framework that will set out his plan to move towards an inclusive political settlement, including the establishment of a multi-track process.
“Through this process, the warring sides’ interests can be addressed within the context of a broader Yemeni agenda along the three tracks of political, security, and economic matters,” he explained.