Saudi counter-extremism center works with Telegram to remove five million extremist posts in past two months

A general view shows the Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology shortly before its inauguration in Riyadh. (AFP file photo)
A general view shows the Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology shortly before its inauguration in Riyadh. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 26 September 2022

Saudi counter-extremism center works with Telegram to remove five million extremist posts in past two months

A general view shows the Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology shortly before its inauguration in Riyadh. (AFP)
  • Since the collaboration began in February, more than 7 million examples of extremist content have been removed from the instant messaging service

RIYADH: More than five million examples of extremist content were removed from instant messaging service Telegram in the space of just two months.

The Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology, also known as Etidal, on Monday said that between July 17 and Sept. 13, its work with a task force from Telegram to prevent and combat terrorism and violent extremism resulted in the deletion of 5,269,078 items from the platform. They included 3,012,489 messages relating to Tahrir Al-Sham, a militant group involved in the Syrian civil war, 1,168,447 about Al-Qaeda, and 1,088,142 about Daesh.




Mubarak Al-Aati, a Saudi writer and analyst. (Supplied)

Since the collaboration began on Feb. 21, Etidal said 7,146,016 examples of extremist content has been removed from Telegram to protect users from threats and damaging ideological influences. They include messages in Arabic that contained various types of media files, including PDFs, videos and audio recordings.

Mubarak Al-Aati, a Saudi writer and political analyst, said that Etidal is showing that it is efficient and serious in its efforts to confront the rhetoric of extremism and the ideas of terrorism. He told Arab News that the organization’s work to combat the threats on the local, regional and global levels is well known, and its work with high-profile partners such as Telegram will help to reduce the extremist influence on social media and in other public online spaces.

FASTFACT

Since the collaboration began in February, more than 7 million examples of extremist content have been removed from the instant messaging service.

“It will restrict the danger of such materials to society and make pertinent bodies address their responsibilities to preserve and maintain the security of society,” said Al-Aati.

Etidal is a global organization tasked with combating and rooting out examples of extremism, addressing them, and promoting a culture of tolerance and coexistence among peoples. It was established on May 21, 2017, during the Arab-Islamic-American Summit in Riyadh with the aim of promoting, monitoring and analyzing a culture of intellectual moderation in collaboration with regional and international networks. Its headquarters are located in the Saudi capital.

Al-Aati said the center has enjoyed a number of successes so far in its work to tackle the menace of extremism and terrorism. He stressed the importance of the continuation of its painstaking efforts, along with the role of the wider international community in adopting a firm stance in opposition to states that support and sponsor terrorism and extremism and try to use extremist ideologies as a way to spread havoc and chaos.

 


Saudi king, crown prince direct operation of air bridge after Turkiye quake

Saudi king, crown prince direct operation of air bridge after Turkiye quake
Updated 13 sec ago

Saudi king, crown prince direct operation of air bridge after Turkiye quake

Saudi king, crown prince direct operation of air bridge after Turkiye quake

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Tuesday directed the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center to operate an air bridge to help earthquake victims in Syria and Turkey.

Developing


Saudi ambassador to Yemen meets UN envoy

Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Yemen Mohammed bin Saeed Al-Jaber meets with UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg. (SPA)
Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Yemen Mohammed bin Saeed Al-Jaber meets with UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg. (SPA)
Updated 07 February 2023

Saudi ambassador to Yemen meets UN envoy

Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Yemen Mohammed bin Saeed Al-Jaber meets with UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg. (SPA)
  • The two officials reviewed the Kingdom’s political, economic, developmental, and relief efforts to support the Yemeni government and people

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Yemen Mohammed bin Saeed Al-Jaber met with the UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg in Riyadh on Tuesday.

The two officials reviewed the Kingdom’s political, economic, developmental, and relief efforts to support the Yemeni government and people.

They also discussed ways to strengthen and support UN efforts to reach a comprehensive political solution to end Yemen’s crisis and support its security, stability, and development.

Grundberg said he also met with the new Secretary General of the Gulf Cooperation Council Jasem Al-Budaiwi and senior Saudi officials to discuss ways to expand economic and humanitarian measures, and to progress toward a national ceasefire and an inclusive Yemeni-owned political process under UN auspices.


Saudi crown prince discusses bilateral relations with Italy PM during call

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Italy’s Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni. (File/SPA/AFP)
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Italy’s Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni. (File/SPA/AFP)
Updated 07 February 2023

Saudi crown prince discusses bilateral relations with Italy PM during call

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Italy’s Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni. (File/SPA/AFP)

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman discussed bilateral relations with Italian premier Giorgia Meloni during a telephone call on Tuesday.

Prince Mohammed and Meloni also discussed opportunities for joint cooperation and ways to develop them in a number of fields.


Saudi Cabinet expresses solidarity with quake hit Turkiye and Syria

Saudi Cabinet expresses solidarity with quake hit Turkiye and Syria
Updated 07 February 2023

Saudi Cabinet expresses solidarity with quake hit Turkiye and Syria

Saudi Cabinet expresses solidarity with quake hit Turkiye and Syria

RIYADH: The Saudi cabinet voiced its solidarity with Turkiye and Syria following the devastating earthquakes that ripped through the border area  between the two countries killing thousands and injuring thousands more.

The statement was made during Tuesday’s weekly Saudi Cabinet meeting, chaired by King Salman, as the death toll exceeded 5,000, with tens of thousands more injured.

But international agencies like the WHO said the casualty number would grow significantly to thousands more.

The Cabinet statement published via the state news agency SPA said “the Kingdom expressed its solidarity” with the countries impacted by the earthquakes.

The first quake – of a magnitude 7.8 - struck the border area between Turkiye and Syria at about 4a.m. local time on Monday causing buildings to topple to the ground, their occupants caught unaware as they slept.

The second – 7.7 magnitude - quake struck the same area shortly before 2p.m. local time as search and rescue workers dug frantically through the rubble to find survivors.

There were two further earthquakes of a magnitude 5.6 and 5.7 on Tuesday morning as well as 312 aftershocks since the first quake struck.

The Cabinet also praised the bilateral ties between the Kingdom and Iraq and reiterated the Kingdom’s support for efforts made by the Iraqi government to achieve sustainable growth and prosperity for its people.

It also reviewed reports on regional and international conferences recently held in Saudi Arabia to keep pace with the rapid developments and contribute to finding solutions to global challenges.


KSRelief Masam project clears 675 mines in Yemen

KSRelief Masam project clears 675 mines in Yemen
Updated 07 February 2023

KSRelief Masam project clears 675 mines in Yemen

KSRelief Masam project clears 675 mines in Yemen

DUBAI: Nearly 675 mines planted by the Houthi militia in Yemen have been dismantled in the Fifth week of 2023 by King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief)’s Masam project.
The mine-clearing team removed a total of 384,980 mines planted by the militia across Yemen since Masam project started, Saudi Press Agency reported on Tuesday.

Overseen by the KSRelief, special teams destroyed hundreds of anti-personnel and anti-tank mines, unexploded ordinances and other explosive devices.

The KSRelief project, also known as Masam, is one of several initiatives undertaken by Saudi Arabia on the orders of King Salman to help the Yemeni people.

More than 1.2 million mines have been planted by the Houthi militia, claiming the lives of hundreds of civilians.

The Saudi project trains local demining engineers and provides them with modern equipment. It also provides support to Yemenis injured by the devices.