US-led coalition shoots down 15 Yemen rebel drones: CENTCOM

US-led coalition shoots down 15 Yemen rebel drones: CENTCOM
Image released by the US Central Command, a US fighter plane launches from the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Eisenhower in the Red Sea during operations against Houthi targets (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 March 2024
Follow

US-led coalition shoots down 15 Yemen rebel drones: CENTCOM

US-led coalition shoots down 15 Yemen rebel drones: CENTCOM
  • US Central Command said the “large-scale” Houthi attack occurred before dawn into the Red Sea and adjacent Gulf of Aden

DUBAI: US and allied forces shot down 15 one-way attack drones fired by Iran-backed Yemeni rebels into the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, the US military said on Saturday.
It was one of the Houthis’ largest attacks since they began in November a campaign of drone and missile strikes against ships in the Red Sea area, vital for world trade, in professed solidarity with Palestinians during Israel’s war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.
The US Central Command, or CENTCOM, said the “large-scale” Houthi attack occurred before dawn into the Red Sea and adjacent Gulf of Aden.
CENTCOM and coalition forces determined that the drones “presented an imminent threat to merchant vessels, US Navy and coalition ships in the region.”
It added, in a post on social media platform X, that “US Navy vessels and aircraft along with multiple coalition navy ships and aircraft shot down 15” of the drones.
“These actions are taken to protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure.”
On January 9, US and British forces shot down 18 drones and three missiles fired by the rebels toward ships in the Red Sea, the US military said at the time.
Britain said it was the largest attack to that point by the Houthis.
The United States in December announced a maritime security initiative to protect Red Sea shipping from Houthi attacks, which have forced commercial vessels to divert from the route that normally carries 12 percent of global trade.
Since January the United States and Britain have also launched repeated strikes on Houthi targets in Yemen in response to the ship attacks, but the rebels have continued to attack merchant vessels and have also targeted American and British ships.


Israel backtracks on canceled Rafah talks: US official

Israel backtracks on canceled Rafah talks: US official
Updated 27 March 2024
Follow

Israel backtracks on canceled Rafah talks: US official

Israel backtracks on canceled Rafah talks: US official
  • After the White House said it was “perplexed” by the move, Israel backtracked
  • “The prime minister’s office has said they’d like to reschedule the meeting dedicated to Rafah,” the senior administration official told AFP

WASHINGTON: Israel wants to reschedule talks in Washington to discuss a possible offensive in the Gaza city of Rafah, days after it canceled the trip in protest at a UN ceasefire resolution, a US official said Wednesday.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu angrily scrapped the visit on Monday after Israel’s closest ally, the United States, abstained on the UN Security Council vote, allowing it to pass and deepening talk of a rift with President Joe Biden.
But after the White House said it was “perplexed” by the move, Israel backtracked.
“The prime minister’s office has said they’d like to reschedule the meeting dedicated to Rafah. We are now working with them to set a convenient date,” the senior administration official told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The U-turn came after Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant had “constructive discussions” over the last two days with senior US officials in Washington, the official added.
“Rafah was one of the many topics discussed” in the talks with Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, CIA chief Bill Burns and National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan.
Last week, Netanyahu agreed to a personal request by Biden to send a team to Washington to hear US concerns and discuss ways to target Hamas without a major ground operation in Rafah, which is crowded with refugees.
But after the UN Security Council vote demanding an immediate ceasefire in the Gaza war, Israel said that it was canceling and that the US abstention “hurts” its war effort and its bid to free hostages.
The White House said on Monday it was “kind of perplexed” and “very disappointed” by the cancelation.
The United States also insisted its abstention did not represent a shift in policy on Israel.
But Biden has voiced increasing frustration with Netanyahu as the civilian death toll in the Gaza Strip mounts and the humanitarian situation for Palestinians becomes increasingly dire.
The US president was caught on a hot mic recently saying he needed to have a “come to Jesus meeting” with the Israeli premier over the situation.
Israel launched a relentless offensive on Gaza after an unprecedented attack by the Palestinian militant group Hamas resulted in the deaths of about 1,160 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally of Israeli figures.
Around 130 people are still believed to be held hostage in Gaza following the attack.
Israel’s military campaign has killed more than 32,000 people, mostly women and children, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory.


Japan envoy to support peace, aid efforts amid Israel war on Gaza

Japan envoy to support peace, aid efforts amid Israel war on Gaza
Updated 27 March 2024
Follow

Japan envoy to support peace, aid efforts amid Israel war on Gaza

Japan envoy to support peace, aid efforts amid Israel war on Gaza
  • The tour is part of Japan’s various efforts “to calm down the situation surrounding Israel and Palestine,” the Foreign Ministry said

TOKYO: Japan’s government has dispatched Tsukasa Uemura, the country’s special envoy for Middle East peace, to Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE from March 27 to April 3 to assist in peace and aid efforts.
The tour is part of Japan’s various efforts “to calm down the situation surrounding Israel and Palestine as soon as possible and to improve the humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip, while closely communicating with the countries and international organizations concerned,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
Uemura is Japan’s former ambassador in Saudi Arabia.


Egypt pledges support for Palestinian rights during talks with Fatah representatives

Egypt pledges support for Palestinian rights during talks with Fatah representatives
Updated 27 March 2024
Follow

Egypt pledges support for Palestinian rights during talks with Fatah representatives

Egypt pledges support for Palestinian rights during talks with Fatah representatives
  • Parties discussed the humanitarian and security situation in the Gaza Strip and the Israeli-occupied West Bank
  • Mahmoud Al-Aloul led the Fatah delegation, which included Palestinian officials Rawhi Fattouh and Samir Al-Rifai

CAIRO: Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry on Wednesday pledged his country’s continued support for Palestinian rights during talks with a visiting delegation representing the Fatah political movement.

The parties discussed the humanitarian and security situation in the Israeli-occupied Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

Mahmoud Al-Aloul led the Fatah delegation, which included Palestinian officials Rawhi Fattouh and Samir Al-Rifai.

Ministry spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid said Shoukry and the Palestinian officials considered ways to halt Israel’s war in the Strip and curb growing settler violence against Palestinians and their property in the West Bank.

The Egyptian minister highlighted the need to put an end to the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza and stop the Israeli practice of collective punishment which he said included indiscriminate targeting, siege, starvation, and destruction of infrastructure.

Shoukry urged the immediate implementation of a recent UN Security Council Resolution demanding an immediate ceasefire adding that world powers had a legal and humanitarian responsibility to ensure the full and sustainable provision of aid to the Strip.

On the UN aid agency UNRWA, he noted that it was important not to politicize its work and to resume its funding to allow it to provide vital services in all areas of Gaza.

The Palestinian delegation briefed Shoukry on the dire humanitarian and security conditions in the West Bank and Jerusalem and the unprecedented Israeli restrictions placed on Palestinians in Jerusalem and worshippers at Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Shoukry denounced the continued expansion of illegal Israeli settlements, the latest of which involved the ratification of the confiscation of 8,000 dunums (almost 2,000 acres) of land in the Jordan Valley region of the occupied West Bank.

He condemned attempts at forced displacement of Palestinians which he pointed out undermined the foundations of the future peace process and peaceful coexistence in the region.

Egypt, he added, would continue to push the international community to work toward a two-state solution to the crisis, recognize the Palestinian state, and approve its full membership of the UN.


US, UK bomb Houthi-held Saada in Yemen

US, UK bomb Houthi-held Saada in Yemen
Updated 27 March 2024
Follow

US, UK bomb Houthi-held Saada in Yemen

US, UK bomb Houthi-held Saada in Yemen
  • Houthi media said that US and UK “enemy” jets carried out one strike on Al-Qutaynat in Saada’s Baqoum area
  • US Central Command nearly every day reports intercepting and destroying Houthi drones and missiles targeting US and international ships

AL-MUKALLA: The US and UK launched a fresh airstrike on Houthi targets in Yemen’s northern province of Saada on Wednesday, the latest in a spate of strikes against the Yemeni militia, which has vowed to continue assaults on ships in the Red Sea.

Houthi media said that US and UK “enemy” jets carried out one strike on Al-Qutaynat in Saada’s Baqoum area but did not elaborate on the target sites or if there was any human or property damage.

Since January, the US and UK have launched strikes on Sanaa, Saada, Hodeidah, and other Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen, targeting military targets, drone and missile launchers, storage facilities, and ammunition depots in order to force the Houthis to stop attacking ships in the Red Sea, Bab Al-Mandab Strait, and Gulf of Aden.

The US Central Command nearly every day reports intercepting and destroying Houthi drones and missiles targeting US and international ships, as well as those preparing to fire on international maritime routes in Yemen.

The Houthis say they solely target Israel-linked or Israel-bound ships to pressure Israel to lift its blockade of the Palestinian Gaza Strip.

Meanwhile, the Houthis launched an attack on Yemeni government soldiers in the southern province of Dhale, the most recent Houthi military operation to gain ground in the province. 

According to Dhale Axis Media Centre, the pro-independence Security Belt, affiliated with the Southern Transitional Council, said that the Houthis launched simultaneous shelling and ground attacks at nearly 2 a.m. on Wednesday on its forces’ locations north of Qa’atabah District in Dhale but failed to gain any ground and were forced to retreat. 

Some Houthis were killed in the fighting, their bodies still scattered on the battlefield, the center said. 

The Houthis and Yemen’s government forces have fought bloody battles in Dhale in recent years despite a relative calm on the battlefields since the UN-brokered truce came into force in April 2022. 


Egypt urges US to resume aid to UN agency for Palestinians

Egypt urges US to resume aid to UN agency for Palestinians
Updated 27 March 2024
Follow

Egypt urges US to resume aid to UN agency for Palestinians

Egypt urges US to resume aid to UN agency for Palestinians
  • Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry meets visiting delegates
  • UNWRA vital to supporting refugees in Gaza, West Bank, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, he says

CAIRO: Egypt’s foreign minister on Wednesday urged a visiting US delegation to resume its financial support for UNRWA, the UN aid agency for Palestinians.

Sameh Shoukry told the group of members of the US House Committee on Homeland Security, led by August Pfluger, that the decision to halt funding would have an impact on Palestinian refugees in Gaza, the West Bank, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon.

A total of 16 countries suspended their financial support for UNRWA after Israel accused 12 of the agency’s 13,000 employees in the Gaza Strip of taking part in the Hamas-led assault on Israel on Oct. 7.

Shoukry also stressed the importance of an immediate and comprehensive ceasefire to allow humanitarian aid to enter Gaza in a sustainable manner and in sufficient quantities to meet the growing need. He also called for the implementation of Security Council Resolution 2720, which gives the UN a mandate to facilitate the entry of aid into Gaza.

The minister reiterated Egypt’s rejection of any Israeli military operation against the Palestinian city of Rafah, which he said would represent a humanitarian catastrophe for more than 1.4 million displaced people.

He also highlighted his country’s efforts to bring security and stability to the region amid the ongoing threat of armed conflicts, terrorism and various economic and development challenges.

Egypt’s vision and strategy for fighting terrorism took into account economic, social, cultural, educational and development issues and sought to eradicate the problem at its roots, he said.

The visiting delegation stressed the importance of good Egypt-US relations and expressed their appreciation for the role played by Cairo in supporting regional peace, security and stability.

They also offered their full support for Egypt’s efforts aimed at reaching a permanent ceasefire agreement in Gaza.