Syrian man takes part in stoning of daughter to death

Updated 22 October 2014
0

Syrian man takes part in stoning of daughter to death

BEIRUT: An elderly Syrian took part in stoning his daughter to death for alleged adultery, in a video posted on YouTube by the Islamic State group on Tuesday.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the execution took place in August or September in an IS-controlled rural area in the east of the central province of Hama.
In the video, a bearded gunman in combat fatigues stands behind the father, who is dressed in the white robe and checkered headdress typical of the Syrian countryside. They both face the young black-clad daughter as the gunman addresses her in the classical Arabic of the Qur’an.
“The punishment is the result of crimes which you committed under no duress,” he says.
“You must accept the punishment of God. Do you accept the punishment of God?”
She nods her head in assent, then turns to her father and asks his forgiveness. He refuses until the assembled IS fighters persuade him to relent.
But it makes no difference to his daughter’s fate. She is permitted to speak briefly before the stoning commences.
“I say to every woman: preserve your honor ... and I appeal to every father to pay attention to the surroundings your daughter lives in,” she says.
Her father then takes a rope, and ties it round his daughter’s waist before forcing her to lie down. The IS gunman then orders punishment to begin and the father joins in stoning her to death.


Iraqi forces launch anti-Daesh operation north of Baghdad

Updated 30 min 28 sec ago
0

Iraqi forces launch anti-Daesh operation north of Baghdad

  • The mainly Shiite PMF have been an effective force against Daesh
  • This is the second phase of the operation dubbed “Will to Victory”

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s military said Saturday its troops in partnership with security agencies and paramilitary forces launched the second phase of an operation aimed at clearing remnants of the Daesh group from north of Baghdad and surrounding areas.
This is the second phase of the operation dubbed “Will to Victory,” which started two weeks earlier and targeted the area along the border with Syria. The military said the new target area is north of Baghdad and in the Diyala, Salahuddin and Anbar provinces.
Although Iraq declared victory against Daesh in July 2017, the extremists have turned into an insurgency and continue to carry out deadly attacks in the country.
The military said Iraqi troops, Iran-backed Popular Mobilization Forces, the federal police and others are taking part in the operation supported by the Iraqis and the U.S-led international coalition.
On Saturday, Iraq’s Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi visited the operation room alongside the deputy head of the PMF, Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis.
Earlier this month, the Iraqi government moved to place the Iranian-backed militias under the command of the armed forces. The move was believed to be an attempt to curb the powerful militias, particularly amid rising tension between Iran and the US, the power brokers in Iraq.
The mainly Shiite PMF have been an effective force against Daesh and are a significant political force, with government ministers and 48 seats in the 329-member parliament.