US missions resume consular services

Updated 24 March 2015
0

US missions resume consular services

The US diplomatic missions in Saudi Arabia will resume full consular services on Sunday, following a weeklong closure amid reports of “heightened security concerns” against Western targets.
The opening of the US Embassy and its consulates in Jeddah and Dhahran was confirmed by Stewart Wight, a spokesman of the US Embassy, on Saturday.
Speaking to Arab News, Wight said: “The US Embassy and its consulates will offer regular consular services as of March 22.”
The embassy has announced that the consular section will resume services for American citizens and will be functioning as usual for both Americans and non-Americans.
Asked about the issuance of visas to Saudis and expatriates, Wight said: “Regular consular services will be offered.”
Additionally, all those who have appointments for visa and US citizen services should plan to come in as scheduled.
Visa services are available Sunday to Thursday (excluding holidays), and by appointment only.
Non-immigrant visa interviews are conducted from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., while immigrant visa interviews are conducted from 12.30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
The US Embassy and its consulates in Jeddah and Dhahran are closed during Fridays and Saturdays as well as on US and Saudi holidays.
A US national must make an appointment online for all routine US citizen services, including passport application services, request for consular report of birth abroad, notarial services, and questions regarding federal benefits. Persons without an appointment are not admitted for routine services.


Saudi Arabia calls on Qatar to allow its pilgrims to perform Hajj

Updated 17 July 2019
0

Saudi Arabia calls on Qatar to allow its pilgrims to perform Hajj

  • The ministry accused the Qatari government of blocking attempts by its citizens to perform the pilgrimage
  • Saudi Arabia is one of several Arab countries that launched a boycott of Qatar in 2017 over the country’s support for extremist groups

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has created a new webpage for Qataris who wish to perform the pilgrimage this year.
Qatari Hajj pilgrims can register their details, browse packages and pay for them at: https://qh1440.haj.gov.sa

The ministry called on Qatar not to block the webpage as it did previously and “cooperate in order to allow its citizens to perform Hajj easily.”

Saudi Arabia is one of several Arab countries that launched a boycott of Qatar in 2017 over the country’s support for extremist groups.

The embargo includes transport restrictions between Qatar and Saudi Arabia, but the Kingdom has taken measures to ensure pilgrims from Qatar can travel freely for Hajj and Umrah.

The ministry said on Saturday it had taken several steps to ensure pilgrims could enter Saudi Arabia for for Hajj, which starts next month. But the ministry accused the Qatari government of blocking attempts by its citizens to perform the pilgrimage.

Following a recent meeting with a Qatari delegation to discuss the logistics of pilgrims from the country arriving in the Kingdom, the delegation from Doha left without signing any agreements to enable access for it citizens, according to the ministry.

In response to Doha’s actions, the statement said that Qatari pilgrims could complete their applications upon arrival in Saudi Arabia.