Qassim toll rises to 9

Updated 30 April 2015
0

Qassim toll rises to 9

At least nine Asian construction workers including eight Pakistanis were killed in the collapse of a convention center being built in the central region of Qassim, informed sources said. The building at Qassim University collapsed on Monday.
The bodies of eight Pakistanis had been pulled from the rubble and rescuers were trying to take out one more body still under the rubble. Police sniffer dogs and fire department cameras were assisting in the search for workers believed still trapped under the concrete.
Mohammed Abdul Aziz, spokesman of the Saudi Red Crescent Authority, said ambulances transported a total of 10 injured to hospitals, while 20 others were less seriously hurt.
Qassim Gov. Prince Faisal bin Mishaal has called for an investigation into accident and has set up a committee for the purpose.
The Civil Defense Department confirmed that there were only 15 workers trapped under the rubble. “They have pulled out nine bodies as well as six injured workers,” an official statement said.
A diplomatic source said he understood that steel mesh had been laid and foundation columns were in place.
"When they started pouring concrete, that was when the load was too much" for the columns, he said.
The diplomatic source said Egyptians and Bangladeshis also worked on the site.
Manazel Construction, the company in charge of the project, said nine workers died in the incident. “We extend our most heartfelt condolences to the victims’ families and loved ones,” it said.
“We are contacting the families of the deceased to express our condolence and extend our full support to them at this difficult time,” it added.
The incident occurred while concrete was being poured to form the roof. At the time of the partial collapse, 90 percent of the concrete had been poured, the company said. “We are continuing our investigation to understand the exact causes of the accident.”
It added: “We are also extending our full support to the independent investigation ordered by the governor,” it said.


Cirque du Soleil heads to Saudi in special one-off show

Updated 11 September 2018
0

Cirque du Soleil heads to Saudi in special one-off show

  • More than 80 artists will take the stage at the King Fahd International Stadium for the show
  • About 250 costumes have been specially made to respect local traditions

MONTREAL: Cirque du Soleil will stage a show in Saudi Arabia for the first time later this month, the high-flying acrobatic troupe announced Monday.
The show will take place in the Saudi capital on Sept. 23 to coincide with the country's national day, public relations director Marie-Helene Lagace told AFP.
More than 80 artists will take the stage at the King Fahd International Stadium for the show, which will also be shown on Saudi state television. Cirque says it will be one of its biggest one-off productions ever.
About 250 costumes have been specially made to respect local traditions and conform to "the artistic standards for which we are known," Lagace said.
The announcement of Cirque du Soleil's appearance in Saudi Arabia was first made in Los Angeles in April, Lagace noted. But it was unclear whether the show would go on given the diplomatic tensions.
At the behest of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia has reopened movie theaters and allowed women and men to attend some concerts together.